2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Houser33 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:30 pm

I think McClellan is worth an add even if its just for the next couple of weeks. Hes looked good in limited appearances and I think that is all LaRussa needed to see. I'd say there's a 25% chance he could end up being the long term solution this year. Motte on the other hand is officially 100% done. Gotta love hype eh?

As for Lindstrom, he just isnt locating his fastball. He will remain the closer but the situation needs to be monitored very closely. If Lindstrom can start getting his slider over for strikes he'll be fine. Right now he is just trying to get to 2 strikes with his fastball alone and it isnt fooling anyone. The leash is longer than some people think but if Lindstrom doesnt convert atleast 4 of his next 5 opportunities, I'll be adding Nunez.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:31 pm

racrzeke wrote:Lindstrom blew the save but got lucky with the win, who would take over for him?

I think Calero could get the shot
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Geek » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:33 pm

18 and 1 wrote:
da bears wrote:He was fairly solid last season before he seemed to wear out. I have a feeling this job is going to be put in the hands of Perez as soon as he is ready. Anyone have any reasons he didnt go to Franklin tonight??

The dreaded CBC. Josh Kinney could get some save chances as well. This is a complete cluster f--k and we probably should stay clear of it. LaRussa isn't helping Motte's confidence by not letting him sink or swim tonight.

Motte is probably headed for long relief or even AAA. His confidence is kinda beside the point.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 18 and 1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 pm

Geek wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:
da bears wrote:He was fairly solid last season before he seemed to wear out. I have a feeling this job is going to be put in the hands of Perez as soon as he is ready. Anyone have any reasons he didnt go to Franklin tonight??

The dreaded CBC. Josh Kinney could get some save chances as well. This is a complete cluster f--k and we probably should stay clear of it. LaRussa isn't helping Motte's confidence by not letting him sink or swim tonight.

Motte is probably headed for long relief or even AAA. His confidence is kinda beside the point.

So what he blew a save the other day. Was he really given a chance to close? You would think his spring stats would carry more weight that one blown save and 2 hits.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Geek » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 pm

18 and 1 wrote:
Geek wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:

So what he blew a save the other day. Was he really given a chance to close? You would think his spring stats would carry more weight that one blown save and 2 hits.

He fell apart in his first game. They didn't feel confident enough in him to bring him in to save Carp's game. And then they bring him in to face the weakest part of Houston's lineup, and they have their way with him.

Spring stats don't count for anything.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby converge241 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:45 pm

see also: Chris Ray

He was dominating in Spring and set to take the job back. Sherrill even aquiesced to him now thats obviously pushed back at the least
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 18 and 1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Geek wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:
Geek wrote:

He fell apart in his first game. They didn't feel confident enough in him to bring him in to save Carp's game. And then they bring him in to face the weakest part of Houston's lineup, and they have their way with him.

Spring stats don't count for anything.

Small sample size for sure. I'm just saying they didn't stay with him long enough. One blown save and two singles tonight isn't a reason to give up on the guy.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Buckley » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 pm

converge241 wrote:

Calero was just as bad tonight.
Buckley
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:50 pm

converge241 wrote:
racrzeke wrote:Lindstrom blew the save but got lucky with the win, who would take over for him?

Just couldnt see that, Nunez looked pretty good tonight. He would be the next go to guy.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby converge241 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:53 pm

Buckley wrote:
converge241 wrote:

Calero was just as bad tonight.

Thanks - Ill put you down for "whoever wasnt bad tonight" then ;-D
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers