2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
YerInUrine wrote:Saw this on Yahoo this morning:

I would be downright shocked if Motte is the closer. He has a high speed fastball with no movement and no other pitches
Perez has been hit pretty hard so far but he has to still be the favorite. My darkhorse canidate is Josh Kinney.

Agreed. One Pitch Motte won't be closing barring the miraculous emergence of a second pitch, though Franklin the forgotten man is still in the mix right behind Perez.

Motte does use a slider, albeit only 10% of the time. Give the kid a break. He only converted to pitching recently and you can't argue with the success that he's had. His minor league K% in ridonculous. I'm sure he will continue to work on that slider some more and be an effective late inning guy for the cards.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Like the article says, "The Cardinals might not want him working out his kinks in the ninth inning." Yes, it's about Perez, but I don't see them letting Motte experiment in the 9th with a slider he just learned to throw. Don't get me wrong, I think he has great potential. But I don't see him getting anything more than the occasional save opportunity in '09.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:17 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
I would be downright shocked if Motte is the closer. He has a high speed fastball with no movement and no other pitches
Perez has been hit pretty hard so far but he has to still be the favorite. My darkhorse canidate is Josh Kinney.

Agreed. One Pitch Motte won't be closing barring the miraculous emergence of a second pitch, though Franklin the forgotten man is still in the mix right behind Perez.

Motte does use a slider, albeit only 10% of the time. Give the kid a break. He only converted to pitching recently and you can't argue with the success that he's had. His minor league K% in ridonculous. I'm sure he will continue to work on that slider some more and be an effective late inning guy for the cards.

Nothing against Motte but the slider is inconsistant at best. He's still a work in progress and I don't see him getting the closer's job. I actually think he will be lucky to make the team. The best thing for him is to get some work at AAA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby checkers » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:53 pm

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Joe Strauss reports the St. Louis Cardinals won't consider signing SP Pedro Martinez (Mets) to be a closer candidate.
The St. Louis Cardinals view RP Ryan Franklin as a setup option to either RP Chris Perez or RP Jason Motte at closer.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kemper5 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Another crummy outing by Street..0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 1 BB SO FAR and I believe he's still in pitching! I got Corpas in the 25th rd and am feeling alot better having him right now..2 of those hits were bombs..
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:13 pm

Motte's fastball has enough movement to get by. More importantly, he can spot it extremely well.

Motte's mentality and his command make him a better option than Perez, IMO. Perez loses focus and nibbles if he gives up a baserunner. He's always struggled with his control, his BB/9 are way too high for a good closer.

I think Motte could easily take this job. I think the Cards see Kinney as too effective against lefties for the CL role (they want him in the jam righty role) and they're worried about Kinney's health. I wouldn't make him my closer if for no other reason than the strain his slider puts on his elbow. I don't think he can be counted on for 50 innings and STL has seen a couple times over the last few years how quickly the wheels can come off if your closer is hurt.

Motte's big, he's durable, he's got a closer's mindset. He can win this job.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby checkers » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Jason Beck, of MLB.com, reports Detroit Tigers RP Joel Zumaya's (shoulder) exam revealed no damage to his shoulder. He initially felt discomfort in his throwing shoulder Thursday, March 5. Zumaya has been cleared to begin throwing, but will wait a few days.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Whats the reason that Trevor Hoffman is not rock solid? :-? :-S
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:Whats the reason that Trevor Hoffman is not rock solid? :-? :-S

Yeah, because he's not playing in Petco, he has some good internal reliever behind him, he's 41, and he's not the the same pitcher he used to be. I would be surprised if he's not the Brewers closer by year's end due to breakdown and/or lack in performance.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 102)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers