2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:how was lyon removed from closer when he got the 1st save opp of the season? Sure you can cut bait on him now if you have better options, but rodney and zumaya aren't any better options

well he did come in in the 8th inning, so we can't be sure if he was actually going to be used as the closer in the 9th for a 4 out save or was just finishing out the 8th.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 pm

lyon wasn't closing it out, he was being used as set up guy last night.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheBambino » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 pm

Lindstrom is in right now (6-3), bases loaded with 1 out and Adam Dunn is up!!! crap!! to his defense though, there was an easy 2nd out but Uggla made a throwing error. I need this save with no runs scored! haha

I hate closers....
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Houser33 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm

I wouldnt worry too much about Lindstrom. He was averaging 97mph with the heater. The first batter he walked was because he got squeezed on 3 of the 5 pitches he threw. The 2nd BB was simply a great AB by Dunn. If not for the error he wouldve made it out of the inning with 0 ER (I'm still not sure why he was credited with 1 anyways). The fact that he was left in there to face Kearns after he had already threw 31 pitches tells me all I need to know.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Zhangman1 wrote:how was lyon removed from closer when he got the 1st save opp of the season? Sure you can cut bait on him now if you have better options, but rodney and zumaya aren't any better options

well he did come in in the 8th inning, so we can't be sure if he was actually going to be used as the closer in the 9th for a 4 out save or was just finishing out the 8th.

On top of that it was already discussed on here that Rodney was going to pitch in the 9th to start off was it not? Who the heck would use Lyon for a multi inning save, yuck.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 pm

BJ Ryan Update
From Rotoworld:
Apr. 8 - 6:45 pm et
Manager Cito Gaston said Wednesday that he will try to avoid using closer B.J. Ryan in consecutive games as much as possible this season.

Save chances would go to either Scott Downs or Brandon League on days when Ryan is rested. If Ryan's velocity doesn't come back soon, the two may see more opportunities than expected.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mac-unit » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm

This isn't a huge surprise but Gaston said he doesn't want Ryan going consecutive days.

From Rototimes.
MLB.com reports that Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston would prefer not to use closer B.J. Ryan on consecutive days. Scott Downs and Brandon League would see closing opportunities if Ryan is bypassed.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Houser33 wrote:I wouldnt worry too much about Lindstrom. He was averaging 97mph with the heater. The first batter he walked was because he got squeezed on 3 of the 5 pitches he threw. The 2nd BB was simply a great AB by Dunn. If not for the error he wouldve made it out of the inning with 0 ER (I'm still not sure why he was credited with 1 anyways). The fact that he was left in there to face Kearns after he had already threw 31 pitches tells me all I need to know.

You can also factor in that he barely pitched in the spring due to injury. It's not surprising that he isn't sharp yet.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers