2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:18 am

Havok1517 wrote:Who is the best potential closer prospect? Poll ended at Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:41 am

Ryan Perry (Det) 76 Votes 53%
Josh Fields (Sea) 38 Votes 27%
Henry Sosa (SF) 2 Votes 1%
Daniel Schlereth (Ari) 2 Votes 1%
Daniel Bard (Bos) 7 Votes 5%
Mark Melancon (NYY) 4 Votes 3%
Andrew Cashner (ChC) 2 Votes 1%
Henry Rodriguez (Oak) 6 Votes 4%
Carlos Gutierrez (Min) 3 Votes 2%
OTHER 3 Votes 2%

arrrggghhhhh, i've been keeping my eye on perry but thanks to this probably in 2 of my leagues some manager picked him up.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:32 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Who is the best potential closer prospect? Poll ended at Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:41 am

OTHER 3 Votes 2%

arrrggghhhhh, i've been keeping my eye on perry but thanks to this probably in 2 of my leagues some manager picked him up.

Perry probably has the most potential of closing this year, but I don't think he is the best prospect on this list. I fact, I'd probably put him 4th or 5th behind Fields, Bard, and Rodriguez.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:00 am

Carlos Gutierrez will be given every opportunity to make it as a starter by the Twins. From what I've heard the only reason that he was a closer in his junior season in college was because he was coming off TJ and wasn't ready for full-time work in the rotation. He also is a sinkerballer (I was impressed with the movement during the WBC - Puerto Rico) which should lead to being a fairly efficient groundball pitcher (important for a starter, less so for a RP). The key for him will be developing a second pitch (possibly a change or a slider) which he would need regardless of being a starter or reliever.

I rambled but I don't really consider him a closer prospect especially right now that he's going to be given every chance to start.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby foeplay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:29 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:

OTHER 3 Votes 2%

Serious? He's only 1% owned on Yahoo so if that's true they are probably the 1%...haha
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm

metsfan12 wrote:Did anyone see Casilla and Ziegler pitch last night? Ziegler gave up a run but from the box score it looks like they let Figgins round the bases (fielder's indifference and I assume no throw to the plate), still he gave up 2 hits and was one swing away from a BS after starting with a 3 run lead. Ziegler did K the last 2 outs though. Anyone see both pitch and can comment?

Edit: Also, Casilla had 1 BB in 2IP and threw 26 pitchers with only 14 for strikes. Was he wild or was he just missing the plate by design?

I didn't get to it in time to see Casilla, but Ziegler did absolutely nothing to worry his owners. He gave the solid single up to Figgins,who they left alone and stole uncontested, not sure if was interference. But then (in Anaheim) Ziegler had to get through a gauntlet of Kendrick, Abreu, Vlad, Hunter with only the single to Abreu. It looked like Abreu did a great job of hitting to get the bat on the ball and hitting it on the ground between ss and 3b. But then he locked in and K'd studs Guerrero and Hunter. Pretty interesting delievery Ziegler has, Vlad especially looked quite fooled.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beezer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Do you really see Perry jumping over Lyon, Rodney, and Zumaya this year?
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:20 pm

beezer wrote:Do you really see Perry jumping over Lyon, Rodney, and Zumaya this year?

It's possible. I think Zumaya has the best shot TBH.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
beezer wrote:Do you really see Perry jumping over Lyon, Rodney, and Zumaya this year?

Zumaya is the hardest thrower in the mlb, he deserves the closer role. If he could just stay healthy.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:51 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Zumaya is the hardest thrower in the mlb, he deserves the closer role. If he could just stay healthy.

...and throw strikes
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:05 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
Zhangman1 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:it's almost as if lou wants gregg to lose the game so he can have an excuse to use marmol to close. i mean that situation was where they needed strikeouts, marmol was perfect for that situation yet he doesn't bring him in.

don't understand why lou would try to make gregg fail when he could have just named marmol the closer...then again who knows what lou was thinking

Anyone know if morrow looked good retiring the 1st 2 batters? frankly IMO his job is safe b/c of the lack of anything behind him.

also, lyon blew 2 of his first 3 save ops last year, then proceeded to run off a good first half in arizona....take that for what its worth

jumping ship is a art we have all mastered here, but it's been 2 days of baseball...let's keep that "drop" finger under check

Lyon was already removed as the closer before the season started and now he has shown why. On top of Rodney currently he has competition from Perry and Zumaya coming up later in the season, if not sooner. I would say Lyon has very little value so I don't think it is overreacting to anything to get rid of him. A one trick pony like him when he is closing isn't worth a whole lot anyway.

how was lyon removed from closer when he got the 1st save opp of the season? Sure you can cut bait on him now if you have better options, but rodney and zumaya aren't any better options
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers