2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Holein1 wrote:Syfo-Dyas,

man you look dumb...you tried to call out someone on their quoting of their stats and he showed you up.

Maybe you will stop asking dumb questions that dont help the thread anymore

(i know you are going to say that this does not help the thread but i am just trying to prevent other people from asking dumb questions instead of helping out the thread)

I'm sure you could have sent that to them by PM. :-t

Thanks for the heads up about Jess Todd, Havok ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cobra_Kai » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:33 pm

So what kind of leash do we think Gregg is going to have? He got the ugly save last night, and then blew the game tonight...as a Marmol owner, how long until Sweet Lou gives my man Carlos the 9th inning nod?
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:So what kind of leash do we think Gregg is going to have? He got the ugly save last night, and then blew the game tonight...as a Marmol owner, how long until Sweet Lou gives my man Carlos the 9th inning nod?

he didnt really blow the game tonight, he came on with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs, got a fly ball, intentionally walked a guy, and then the game winning hit was a broken bat groundball that managed to find a hole. i would hardly put that on his shoulders.

also, last night would have been a clean save if bradley hadnt dropped a fly ball that he most certainly should have caught.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby moseby » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 am

re: Aardsma, from USS Mariner
Aardsma, on the other hand, had about as bad a 1-2-3 inning as you can have. Let’s just say that his fastball command still needs some work.
moseby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 am

it's almost as if lou wants gregg to lose the game so he can have an excuse to use marmol to close. i mean that situation was where they needed strikeouts, marmol was perfect for that situation yet he doesn't bring him in.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:20 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:it's almost as if lou wants gregg to lose the game so he can have an excuse to use marmol to close. i mean that situation was where they needed strikeouts, marmol was perfect for that situation yet he doesn't bring him in.

don't understand why lou would try to make gregg fail when he could have just named marmol the closer...then again who knows what lou was thinking

Anyone know if morrow looked good retiring the 1st 2 batters? frankly IMO his job is safe b/c of the lack of anything behind him.

also, lyon blew 2 of his first 3 save ops last year, then proceeded to run off a good first half in arizona....take that for what its worth

jumping ship is a art we have all mastered here, but it's been 2 days of baseball...let's keep that "drop" finger under check
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:21 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:it's almost as if lou wants gregg to lose the game so he can have an excuse to use marmol to close. i mean that situation was where they needed strikeouts, marmol was perfect for that situation yet he doesn't bring him in.

it makes no sense that he would need an excuse to use marmol, it's what everyone expected to begin with. it's not like marmol is some unproven rookie and lou would get heat if he blew a game, marmol is a proven relief stud.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:30 am

yea i know he named the closer at the end of spring, but after watching gregg with an ugly save last night, he could've had a change of heart? i dunno, but there better be a damn good reason why marmol wasn't brought in there. does anyone know if marmol was even warming up? maybe he couldn't get loose?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:42 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:yea i know he named the closer at the end of spring, but after watching gregg with an ugly save last night, he could've had a change of heart? i dunno, but there better be a damn good reason why marmol wasn't brought in there. does anyone know if marmol was even warming up? maybe he couldn't get loose?

i think you guys are overreacting to gregg's save last night, it was not near as ugly as you are making it out to be imo. i think his job is safe for the time being.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby mweir145 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:48 am

silverZ wrote:As a Ryan owner I'm hopeful he'll turn it around and rack up 30 saves. He'll need to blow 3 or 4 saves in a row before Cito completely yanks him. BJ might not be available tomorrow... If there's a save op tomorrow night I wouldn't be surprised to see Downs out there.

BJ looked pretty much like himself tonight (his 2008 self, not 2006). His velocity was right around where it was last year...I don't expect he'll lose his job.

As a Lyon owner I'm just about ready to cut bait. I'm looking for anything promising on the WW to drop him for. There are so many gem on the WW in April that you need to jump on them fast.

I don't even know why I had him on my team tonight. It was stupid. He's been dropped.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers