Ausint Jackson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Ausint Jackson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ausint Jackson

Postby mission27 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 pm

What are your thoughts on this guy? He struggled last season, however I'm still hopeful because of 2007. At A+ (and this is his first season at high A ball) he put up .345/.398/.566 with 10 homers and 13 steals in 67 games. I know he didn't adjust to AA quickly, but at 21 he was playing against mostly older players correct? I just don't understand why he has slipped so much on prospect boards.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ausint Jackson

Postby J35J » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:06 am

Austin has some potential but it's not really showing up like alot of other prospects. He's not so much slipping as it's others that are passing him. His power potential doesn't look very promising to this point. With poor power you'd like to see a better contact rate and OBP. His half a year at A+ last year was the only stop he's made where he's posted an OPS over .800. Anyway, yeah he's got some decent potential but it just hasn't translated as you would expect yet and he's getting passed in rankings because of it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby whatinthebluehell » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Austin Jackson is a solid player and I believe he can hit for average and is speedy but not too sure how his power translates to the Majors. But I've said this before, there is no upside to being in the Yankees farm system because as we have seen in the last 5 years, that your chances of playing at the Major League level as an everyday player for the Yankees is slimmer. The Yankees are about going and getting FA or trading away prospects for proven Major League Players. I believe Jackson's best chance of being a star in this league is if he is traded to a different team. If he is available in a draft of course i'd take him, but I think it's going to be quite a while before you see him as a star in the majors...CBS Sportsline projects 100AB's this season for him. Just my two cents.
whatinthebluehell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mission27 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:04 pm

whatinthebluehell wrote:Austin Jackson is a solid player and I believe he can hit for average and is speedy but not too sure how his power translates to the Majors. But I've said this before, there is no upside to being in the Yankees farm system because as we have seen in the last 5 years, that your chances of playing at the Major League level as an everyday player for the Yankees is slimmer. The Yankees are about going and getting FA or trading away prospects for proven Major League Players. I believe Jackson's best chance of being a star in this league is if he is traded to a different team. If he is available in a draft of course i'd take him, but I think it's going to be quite a while before you see him as a star in the majors...CBS Sportsline projects 100AB's this season for him. Just my two cents.

Not saying your wrong but our best option this year for CF is Nick Swisher and unless his bat rebounds I could see that spot being open in a big way.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:27 pm

I would say that the problem with being a prospect for the Yankees is that you typically have at most a 1/2 season to prove yourself. If you get off to a bad start the Yankees are likely to go out and find a replacement. It doesn't happen in all cases, but the Yankees plan on winning now in most of the time instead of letting a player develop at the MLB level.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby whatinthebluehell » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Thats my point Kab. Now if you have him in a league, I think his value could skyrocket higher than it is because he is great trade bait and if he landed on a different team, would undoubtly be a Major League everyday player in the next year to two. I just don't see him playing everyday for the Yankees even if Swisher struggles...
whatinthebluehell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball