FBC Community Top 20 OF - #16: Alex Rios - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FBC Community Top 20 OF - #16: Alex Rios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is the #16 outfielder in a standard 5x5 league?

Alex Rios
40%
Curtis Granderson
18%
Ichiro Suzuki
22%
Adam Dunn
4%
Magglio Ordonez
1%
Corey Hart
4%
Shane Victorino
1%
Nate McLouth
5%
Jacoby Ellsbury
4%
Ryan Ludwick
No votes

Total votes : 77

Re: FBC Community Top 20 OF - Vote #16

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:39 am

J35J wrote:Whats suprising me more is to see Ichiro have 17 votes while Ellsbury has 2. I like Ellsbury more and especially like him more since you can get him later than Ichiro. Ellsbury will finish the year with more HR,RBI,Runs and SB....and won't be too far behind in Avg, IMHO.

this just proves how much of a gap there is before ALL these guys. if ellsbury is as good as ichiro, then both are better than rios or granderson.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:55 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:
J35J wrote:Whats suprising me more is to see Ichiro have 17 votes while Ellsbury has 2. I like Ellsbury more and especially like him more since you can get him later than Ichiro. Ellsbury will finish the year with more HR,RBI,Runs and SB....and won't be too far behind in Avg, IMHO.

this just proves how much of a gap there is before ALL these guys. if ellsbury is as good as ichiro, then both are better than rios or granderson.

How do you figure? None are off of the board yet.

This is why I think at this point in the rankings, it depends more on the type of team you are looking to draft, or that you have drafted yourself into. This 'tier' of OF can be somewhat interchangable, IMO.

In the more shallower positions, you may not run into this scenerio, but with the OF especially, I see a grouping around this point that is rather large, and dependent on team needs more than overall ranking. But of course, if you are dealing with a points-league, then things change quite a bit.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:19 am

I mean a gap between the guys that have gone before, and the guys going now. Basically that this is a new tier and it isn't close to the previous one.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:45 am

Doesn't seem like many agree with me, but give me Reyes in the OF.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:23 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Rios over Granderson????

I'd do that all day. I've never liked Granderson, and I think it's because his stats fluctuate so much from year to year. Does he steal bases? Everyonce in a while. Does he hit homeruns? Who knows? Will he contribute in AVG? Sure. Kind of. Sometimes.

I'm not saying he's not good, I'm just baffled by his skill set...

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that you would use fluctuating statistics to say why you would take Rios over Granderson?

I didn't say that. I made 2 different statements. The first one was that I'd take Rios over Granderson. The second was that I never liked Granderson. I didn't intend for the 2 to be linked. I guess it did seem that way though... :*)

I like Rios over Granderson because to me, his ceiling is much higher.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:16 pm

It has to do with the possibility of Ellsbury falling flat on his face, versus the near complete lack of that possibility with Ichiro. Ichiro's contributions are as much of a guarantee as you can make it fantasy baseball, while the fear that Ellsbury has more months like June/July '08 is probably scaring some people. I think he's a great value this year, and should give 100+ R, 15 or so HR, maybe 60 RBI, and a boatload of SB, and want him on my team, but I understand the love Ichiro gets with the peace of mind he provides.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:25 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

It has to do with the possibility of Ellsbury falling flat on his face, versus the near complete lack of that possibility with Ichiro. Ichiro's contributions are as much of a guarantee as you can make it fantasy baseball, while the fear that Ellsbury has more months like June/July '08 is probably scaring some people. I think he's a great value this year, and should give 100+ R, 15 or so HR, maybe 60 RBI, and a boatload of SB, and want him on my team, but I understand the love Ichiro gets with the peace of mind he provides.

He slumped right when he hurt his wrist, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that had something to do with it. Anyways he finished really strong and besides AVG, which I think Ellsbury will still be good in, what is Ichiro going to beat him in?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:34 pm

hybrid wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

He slumped right when he hurt his wrist, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that had something to do with it. Anyways he finished really strong and besides AVG, which I think Ellsbury will still be good in, what is Ichiro going to beat him in?

If he doesn't perform the way we expect him to, potentially everything. That's the risk I'm referring to. You know what to expect from Ichiro. With Ellsbury, we're still speculating, to a much larger degree. It's quite likely that Ellsbury outperforms Ichiro in 4 of the 5 standard categories, but people like the comfort of knowing they can count on Ichiro, and that they can plan around that. You don't get that comfort with Ellsbury -- in turn, you get that potential (likelihood, possibility, probability, whatever you're feeling) in Ellsbury, which allures other owners. Given where they are being drafted, I'm a huge Ellsbury guy this year, though I also think Ichiro is solid value for where he's going nowadays too.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers