bobby abreu now an ANGEL.. an absolute steal this year?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

bobby abreu now an ANGEL.. an absolute steal this year??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: bobby abreu now an ANGEL.. an absolute steal this year??

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 am

$5 million seems really cheap to me. If they Angels really want to make waves, they should try to add Ramirez now, too.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djxskillz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:29 am

angels management has said they will not be going after manny, period. hopefully they were kidding;)
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 am

If you add his defense into the equation and the stadium he probably isn't nearly as cheap as people think he is. This is a player with one real skill which is OBP, which is a great skill to have mind you.

For fantasy purposes I'd be happy to grab him in the 6th round.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:42 am

Ender wrote:If you add his defense into the equation and the stadium he probably isn't nearly as cheap as people think he is. This is a player with one real skill which is OBP, which is a great skill to have mind you.

For fantasy purposes I'd be happy to grab him in the 6th round.

OBP is his one standout skill but he's solid in speed, power, and contact, which is pretty rare for a hitter.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby daullaz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:21 am

CadensDad wrote:STUPID FRANK WREN! Why in the world did he not snag Bobby already? I hate Frank Wren!

Very nice signing for the Angels, he's no Tex but for the price he is well worth it.

Apparently, Wren doesn't even have $5 million to spend, which would make the Nady/Swisher talks seemingly pointless unless the Yanks are kickin' in a couple million.

For me, I'd like the Braves to go find a Quadruple-A outfielder whose organization has given up on him and trade for that guy. Presumably, that guy would be making the minimum, and if you get lucky and scout the right guy, you might hit gold.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:35 am

daullaz wrote:
CadensDad wrote:STUPID FRANK WREN! Why in the world did he not snag Bobby already? I hate Frank Wren!

Very nice signing for the Angels, he's no Tex but for the price he is well worth it.

Apparently, Wren doesn't even have $5 million to spend, which would make the Nady/Swisher talks seemingly pointless unless the Yanks are kickin' in a couple million.

For me, I'd like the Braves to go find a Quadruple-A outfielder whose organization has given up on him and trade for that guy. Presumably, that guy would be making the minimum, and if you get lucky and scout the right guy, you might hit gold.

Wren WASTED all that money getting Lowe and Kawakami. He had plenty of money early on in the offseason but made poor judgement moves in signing Lowe to way more money than he needs, We had like 40mil free this offseason, he let all these players get by and now we are going to have a really crappy lineup, with a really crappy rotation.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby daullaz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:05 am

We have a pretty solid rotation, and only a slightly crappy lineup. Although the PECOTA projections have the Braves overperforming everyone's expectations and expects the team to compete for the playoffs.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:20 am

He'll certainly run more. ;-D

Annoyed that he makes the slegna better though :-t
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:09 pm

daullaz wrote:We have a pretty solid rotation, and only a slightly crappy lineup. Although the PECOTA projections have the Braves overperforming everyone's expectations and expects the team to compete for the playoffs.

Whats solid? We Have Lowe who is at the VERY BEST a #2 starter, Then Vazquez and his career 4.32 era, (And every thinks switching to ATL will drop his ERA b/c the Sox play in a hitters paradise but Turner field isn't a extremely better park.) We have Kawakami while he was solid in Japan most pitchers who make the change don't exactly do great over here. So he is average. Jurrjens was very solid but we all know about the sophmore slump. Then who is number 5? Glavine? Morton? Reyes? Hanson?

Our lineup has 2 bright spots Chipper and Brian, since Chipper is going to miss at least 25 games and Brian will miss at least 15 as well. We have no left feilder worth mentioning, Not sure of CF still, 2b is up for grabs and Johnson/Prado are both solid but not great, Kotchman is below average, Escobar is good but not great. So our entire offense is gonna come down to how well Frnechy plays and I'm not exactly betting the bank on him. If we finish 3rd I'll be surprised

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby daullaz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Lowe isn't a great #1, but he isn't a bum.
Vazquez WILL improve; he's been a great pitcher with unlucky ratios.
Japanese pitchers DO succeed over here due to the unfamiliarity the hitters have with them.
Jurrjens is developing well.
Hanson will be up soon enough.

I'd take their pitching over the Mutts. Santana kills any Braves pitcher, but I like the Braves 2-5 better.

Anderson needs to get on base more, but he's a decent stopgap till the kids are ready. Speed in CF is great.
Escobar is an above average SS
Chipper needs to stay healthy.
McCann is an elite catcher.
Kelly is an above average 2B.
Frenchy hit the lowest of lows and should rebound at least a little bit.
Kotchman is still young and looks to be taking steps forward (albeit slowly).
Diaz bombed last year and LF is a weakness.

/end Braves talk in Abreu thread.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers