Young, breakout offensive studs for 2009 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young, breakout offensive studs for 2009

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Young, breakout offensive studs for 2009

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:05 am

Kingctb27 wrote:Pablo Sandoval laughs at Justin Uptons contact rate.

Justin laughs at Pablo's walk rate. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:38 pm

hybrid wrote:BTW Gardenhire retracted what he said basically the same week saying it wasn't fair to Delmon, for all the obvious reasons. Anyways it's a bit laughable that he even said it from the start ... does Gomez get a free pass just cause he is fast and plays CF? He is pretty terrible at the plate and needs more seasoning in the minors. Cuddyer also gets some sort of free pass cause he is with the organization longer and has a bigger contract. If they had a brain it would be obvious what they should do. Span is a nice good all around player but it really took till he was 24 and repeating AAA to break through.

I don't know maybe it's just me but the dealt one of their best young pitchers and they still seem to not really care for Delmon. Call me crazy but I'm going to stick the kid with a .317/.363/.517 stat line in the minors while being real young for each level.

Because 24 is so old for a prospect?

I think in the end Young will need to show that he's one of the 4 best players (3 OF and DH) to be on the field. The Twins are competing this year and can't afford to put a lesser player on the field. If young is the lesser player then he'll sit some. At a minimum he'll be the RH platoon option.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby Curtis Pride » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:51 pm

hybrid wrote:
kab21 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Gomez and Span are likely going to be in CF and RF, with Cuddyer, Kubel, and Delmon competing for LF and DH. Cuddyer hasn't shown any signs of replicating his '06 season, and he's 30 years old with very limited upside. It's not like Delmon completely flamed out, either. .290 AVG, 10 HR, 14 SB, .741 OPS isn't bad for a 23-year-old, and he improved his BB:K ratio from 1:5 in 07 to 1:3 in 08. I'd say it's his job to lose, despite what Gardenhire said 10 weeks ago.

Span will be in LF. LF requires more range and less arm. That exactly matches Span while RF matches Young and Cuddyer (poor range and cannons).

Cuddyer's '07 wasn't terrible either with a .790 OPS. Frankly Cuddyer's '07 (.790 OPS with 16 HR's) is the upper end of my Delmon expectation this season.

BTW Gardenhire retracted what he said basically the same week saying it wasn't fair to Delmon, for all the obvious reasons. Anyways it's a bit laughable that he even said it from the start ... does Gomez get a free pass just cause he is fast and plays CF? He is pretty terrible at the plate and needs more seasoning in the minors. Cuddyer also gets some sort of free pass cause he is with the organization longer and has a bigger contract. If they had a brain it would be obvious what they should do. Span is a nice good all around player but it really took till he was 24 and repeating AAA to break through.

I don't know maybe it's just me but the dealt one of their best young pitchers and they still seem to not really care for Delmon. Call me crazy but I'm going to stick the kid with a .317/.363/.517 stat line in the minors while being real young for each level.

Does Gomez get a pass because he's a phenomenal defensive CF (one of the top 3 in the majors), while Delmon is a horrible defensive corner outfielder (one of the worst 5 in the majors).

Well, yes.

According to fangraphs, Gomez was worth 22.4 runs (combining both offensive weakness and defensive prowess) while Delmon was worth -5.4 runs (combining offensive mediocrity and defensive weakness)

Span & Gomez are their two best outfielders and will play every day. If Delmon is going to play it's either because he's going to get traded or beat out Kubel or Cuddyer. That's it.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby garf112 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:37 pm

+1 to Curtis.

Gomez DOES get a pass because he is a great defensive CF.

I can't speak for Cuddyer, though.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:20 pm

garf112 wrote:+1 to Curtis.

Gomez DOES get a pass because he is a great defensive CF.

I can't speak for Cuddyer, though.

Cuddyer will need to show that he has recovered from his hand injury (and later his broken foot, hit by a line drive in his last AAA rehab game :-t ). He OPS'd .865 and .790 in '06 and '07 so he's a pretty good player (with questionable defense like delmon) if he is healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Young and Cuddyer split AB's as the RF'er and the RH portion of the DH. Kubel (who for the most part hasn't been mentioned) is firmly entrenched as the LH portion of the DH. And in the end it wouldn't be unlikely for someone in the OF to become injured (or even Morneau (please don't happen) with Cuddyer shifting to 1B) such that none of them are sitting.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:45 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Does Gomez get a pass because he's a phenomenal defensive CF (one of the top 3 in the majors), while Delmon is a horrible defensive corner outfielder (one of the worst 5 in the majors).

Well, yes.

According to fangraphs, Gomez was worth 22.4 runs (combining both offensive weakness and defensive prowess) while Delmon was worth -5.4 runs (combining offensive mediocrity and defensive weakness)

Span & Gomez are their two best outfielders and will play every day. If Delmon is going to play it's either because he's going to get traded or beat out Kubel or Cuddyer. That's it.

So you risk his development just cause you want someone in CF, it's an interesting theory. I haven't watched enough of the Twins to say very accurately and I really don't take defensive stats with out a lot of grain of salt. When Delmon was with the Rays he was a pretty good corner OF, maybe the switch messed with him or something else. I'm just less inclined to believe those stats is all.

If your saying Span & Gomez are the best defensive OF's, I'll agree with you there though.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DbacksRback » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:38 am

hybrid wrote:

Justin laughs at anyone who is not him

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:35 am

visgc wrote:
Fred Lewis, OF, SF - Lewis had something of a breakout in 2008 when he hit 282/351/440 across 468 ABs. Yet his season totals (81R, 9HR, 40 RBI, 21 SB) leave him off cusp of most fantasy sleeper lists. Yet with 100 more ABs, fulfillment of the rumored slide toward the middle of the order, and one more step up in play, I think he is capable of the type of 5 category #s that make guys like Victorino and Hart popular picks.

Really like Lewis and the Victorino comparison ;-D

Dukes, Milledge, Choo are all high on my list for this coming year.

Lind more so than Snider in Toronto

Teagarden anyone?

Big fan of Upton as well...

Definitely keeping an eye on LaPorta
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:48 pm

garf112 wrote:I'm more of a "post-hype" guy.

Jeremy Hermida F this guy. :-t
J.J. Hardy
Edwin Encarnacion
Alex Gordon
Lastings Milledge
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:35 pm

hybrid wrote:

Touche.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers