Young, breakout offensive studs for 2009 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young, breakout offensive studs for 2009

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Young, breakout offensive studs for 2009

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Nails wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:The Minnesota manager has already said that Delmon is the odd-man out in Minnesota.

Cuddyer, Gomez, and Span are the Minnesota outfield.

Where did you see this?

http://real.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?s ... pe=fantasy

It has to be a batlle in ST. They have to at least give him a chance and if he plays well. He's still only 23 and has so much talent

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Nails wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:The Minnesota manager has already said that Delmon is the odd-man out in Minnesota.

Cuddyer, Gomez, and Span are the Minnesota outfield.

Where did you see this?

Dec 4, 12:45 pm EST

I was under the impression that he'd be competing for the job in ST.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:
Nails wrote:
Where did you see this?

Dec 4, 12:45 pm EST

I was under the impression that he'd be competing for the job in ST.

Yes, that was from over two months ago. What has happened in the past two months that would have changed Gardenhire's mind? None of the players listed played any winter ball.

I'm not saying that Young will have zero at bats this year, but that right now, he's not penciled in to be a starter. He's going to have to compete with Cuddyer, Span, Kubel, and Gomez for playing time - all of whom in the manager's mind have a leg up on him.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Pablo Sandoval laughs at Justin Uptons contact rate.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Gomez and Span are likely going to be in CF and RF, with Cuddyer, Kubel, and Delmon competing for LF and DH. Cuddyer hasn't shown any signs of replicating his '06 season, and he's 30 years old with very limited upside. It's not like Delmon completely flamed out, either. .290 AVG, 10 HR, 14 SB, .741 OPS isn't bad for a 23-year-old, and he improved his BB:K ratio from 1:5 in 07 to 1:3 in 08. I'd say it's his job to lose, despite what Gardenhire said 10 weeks ago.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby West » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm sure they'll leave it up to spring training. Delmon resigned for a year, at the minimum price ( http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3903553 )
I'd like to see Span/Young/Gomez in the outfield, but time will tell. It seems to be a given at this point that it would be foolish for the Twins to rule any of those guys out.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 219)

Postby djxskillz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:58 pm

yesss another rickie weeks believer. im personally gonna be targetting him late as my primary 2B. Maybe "THIS" is the breakout year!
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Gomez and Span are likely going to be in CF and RF, with Cuddyer, Kubel, and Delmon competing for LF and DH. Cuddyer hasn't shown any signs of replicating his '06 season, and he's 30 years old with very limited upside. It's not like Delmon completely flamed out, either. .290 AVG, 10 HR, 14 SB, .741 OPS isn't bad for a 23-year-old, and he improved his BB:K ratio from 1:5 in 07 to 1:3 in 08. I'd say it's his job to lose, despite what Gardenhire said 10 weeks ago.

Span will be in LF. LF requires more range and less arm. That exactly matches Span while RF matches Young and Cuddyer (poor range and cannons).

Cuddyer's '07 wasn't terrible either with a .790 OPS. Frankly Cuddyer's '07 (.790 OPS with 16 HR's) is the upper end of my Delmon expectation this season.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby visgc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Looks like I'm late to the discussion. I like alot of the names already mentioned, but instead of seconding others' suggestions, I'll offer up a few deeper sleepers:'

Hank Blalock, 3B, TEX - The 29 year old remains 3B eligible after playing some 1B in 2008. Blalock followed his 293/358/543 2007 with a similar 287/338/508 line in 2009. But of course these impressive triple slash lines are deflated by the mere 456 ABs in which they occured. Hank battled 4 different minor injuries in 2008, but don't worry about his season opening health status. He emerged fit in September when he batted .414 with 9R, 5HR, and 12RBIs over the last week of the season. So it's the same old fantasy question: 2007 Rich Harden or 2008 Rich Harden? But guessing right only rewards the optimistic.

David Freese, 3B, STL - Receiced from SD in the Edmonds deal, Freese had no trouble skipping from A ball to AAA's Pacific Coast League, hitting 306/361/550 with 26 HRs and 91 RBIs in 464 ABs. Freese is polished and ready both in the field and at the plate, and it looks like he'll get his oppurtunity, while Glaus sits out the first few weeks on the DL.

Brandon Allen, 1B, CWS - Alot of things have to break right for Allen to get significant MLB ABs in 2009, but as Chris Davis showed us, the one thing that can jump start your fantasy lineup is power. Allen has it and plays in an organization and ball park that rewards it. He is not likely to start the year on many rosters, including the CWS, but if age makes further ground on Konerko and/or Thome, keep your ears open for this young Chisock making a debut in August. (LAA's Mark Trumbo fits this discription too)

Fred Lewis, OF, SF - Lewis had something of a breakout in 2008 when he hit 282/351/440 across 468 ABs. Yet his season totals (81R, 9HR, 40 RBI, 21 SB) leave him off cusp of most fantasy sleeper lists. Yet with 100 more ABs, fulfillment of the rumored slide toward the middle of the order, and one more step up in play, I think he is capable of the type of 5 category #s that make guys like Victorino and Hart popular picks.
visgc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 am

kab21 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Gomez and Span are likely going to be in CF and RF, with Cuddyer, Kubel, and Delmon competing for LF and DH. Cuddyer hasn't shown any signs of replicating his '06 season, and he's 30 years old with very limited upside. It's not like Delmon completely flamed out, either. .290 AVG, 10 HR, 14 SB, .741 OPS isn't bad for a 23-year-old, and he improved his BB:K ratio from 1:5 in 07 to 1:3 in 08. I'd say it's his job to lose, despite what Gardenhire said 10 weeks ago.

Span will be in LF. LF requires more range and less arm. That exactly matches Span while RF matches Young and Cuddyer (poor range and cannons).

Cuddyer's '07 wasn't terrible either with a .790 OPS. Frankly Cuddyer's '07 (.790 OPS with 16 HR's) is the upper end of my Delmon expectation this season.

BTW Gardenhire retracted what he said basically the same week saying it wasn't fair to Delmon, for all the obvious reasons. Anyways it's a bit laughable that he even said it from the start ... does Gomez get a free pass just cause he is fast and plays CF? He is pretty terrible at the plate and needs more seasoning in the minors. Cuddyer also gets some sort of free pass cause he is with the organization longer and has a bigger contract. If they had a brain it would be obvious what they should do. Span is a nice good all around player but it really took till he was 24 and repeating AAA to break through.

I don't know maybe it's just me but the dealt one of their best young pitchers and they still seem to not really care for Delmon. Call me crazy but I'm going to stick the kid with a .317/.363/.517 stat line in the minors while being real young for each level.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers