Adam Dunn signs... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam Dunn signs...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Adam Dunn signs...

Postby JTWood » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:55 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:Dunn is better than Abreu right now - and has been for the last two years. Dunn is still in his prime, while it's clear that Abreu is on the decline. They both stink defensively (though Dunn is worse), but Dunn will likely log more time at 1B now than OF, so that should reduce some of the draft on his value.

Wins
Code: Select all
Year  Abreu  Dunn
2002   6.2    4.2
2003   6.3    1.5
2004   5.8    5.2
2005   4.2    3.0
2006   3.4    1.8
2007   2.8    2.8
2008   1.5    1.3

I'm just trying to figure out how Dunn is better and has been over the past two years. ;-)

And Dunn is atrocious at 1B as well, so don't think he won't hurt the team defensively there too. I'd rather have Abreu at $5M (or even $8M) for one year than Dunn on this deal. But I wouldn't want either unless they were willing to DH.

Yeah, but if you put different numbers in that chart... :-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:Dunn is better than Abreu right now - and has been for the last two years. Dunn is still in his prime, while it's clear that Abreu is on the decline. They both stink defensively (though Dunn is worse), but Dunn will likely log more time at 1B now than OF, so that should reduce some of the draft on his value.

Wins
Year  Abreu  Dunn
2002   6.2    4.2
2003   6.3    1.5
2004   5.8    5.2
2005   4.2    3.0
2006   3.4    1.8
2007   2.8    2.8
2008   1.5    1.3

I'm just trying to figure out how Dunn is better and has been over the past two years. ;-)

And Dunn is atrocious at 1B as well, so don't think he won't hurt the team defensively there too. I'd rather have Abreu at $5M (or even $8M) for one year than Dunn on this deal. But I wouldn't want either unless they were willing to DH.

Dunn has been a better hitter than Abreu the last two years. Absolutely no question. I was focusing on offense since Abreu is going to be a DH and Dunn is going to be a 1B (much easier than OF), so their defensive shortfalls really don't apply to the discussion.

Abreu for $5MM is a great deal. No question. Dunn for 2 years at $20 is a good deal - not great. If that's the discussion, then I am in agreement. Since I'm not paying the bills, would I rather have Abreu or Dunn on my team - I'd absolutely prefer Dunn.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 pm

JTWood wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Wins
Year  Abreu  Dunn
2002   6.2    4.2
2003   6.3    1.5
2004   5.8    5.2
2005   4.2    3.0
2006   3.4    1.8
2007   2.8    2.8
2008   1.5    1.3

Yeah, but if you put different numbers in that chart... :-D

I think the point is Dunn 2/20 is not really that great of deal when compared to Abreu 1/5. They are close enough and depending on what stat you are looking at, you can make a case for who has been better the last few years.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Dunn has been a better hitter than Abreu the last two years. Absolutely no question. I was focusing on offense since Abreu is going to be a DH and Dunn is going to be a 1B (much easier than OF), so their defensive shortfalls really don't apply to the discussion.

Abreu for $5MM is a great deal. No question. Dunn for 2 years at $20 is a good deal - not great. If that's the discussion, then I am in agreement. Since I'm not paying the bills, would I rather have Abreu or Dunn on my team - I'd absolutely prefer Dunn.

Ok, I'll give you that for the last two years Dunn has been a better hitter than Abreu. And despite the fact that 1B is easier, I'm quite confident in Dunn's ability to give back a lot of runs with the glove. Probably not as many but damn near as many as he would playing LF.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby djacks » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:12 am

[quote="Curtis Pride"]Abreu for $5MM is a great deal.[quote]

The deal also includes like $6MM in incentives...so it could end up being more than Dunn's at least for 1 year. Of course that would mean Abreu had a pretty good year...not sure what the exact incentives are but would have to assume if he reaches them then he's probably earned his $11MM.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Noggy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:36 am

I thought it was around $1M incentives making the contract worth just over $6M, not $6M in incentives.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20 pm

Noggy wrote:I thought it was around $1M incentives making the contract worth just over $6M, not $6M in incentives.

Yea, thats what I read somewhere as well

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby djacks » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Noggy wrote:I thought it was around $1M incentives making the contract worth just over $6M, not $6M in incentives.

You are correct...from ESPN:

Abreu can make an additional $1 million in performance bonuses: $250,000 each for 500, 550, 600 and 650 plate appearances.

I thought I had read a couple of days ago that it was an extra $6 mil in incentives...I misunderstood. Quite a bargain for the Angels!
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 pm

I'd much rather have bobby for this year than Dunn in any league for 1 year.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers