100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam Dunn signs...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Adam Dunn signs...

Postby JTWood » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:41 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Ender wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Wow Dunn gets 2yr $20 mil and Abreu only gets 1yr $5 mil? Isn't there something wrong with that?

Not really, Dunn is the better player for sure

i think its rather debatable.

Dunn is considerably younger, if nothing else.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:57 am

Dunn is 28, Abreu is 34. If I'm picking one to decline it is Abreu and Dunn has been better the last two years anyway. Dunn is butcher on defense but Abreu is awful too.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:59 am

The thing people are overlooking is that players like Dunn with old skills do not age well. His decline won't be gradual but very sharp and will probably come a lot sooner than people expect.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby markj11 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 am

Yoda wrote:The thing people are overlooking is that players like Dunn with old skills do not age well. His decline won't be gradual but very sharp and will probably come a lot sooner than people expect.

Hence the two year deal? Two years seems very short for someone his age.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 am

markj11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:The thing people are overlooking is that players like Dunn with old skills do not age well. His decline won't be gradual but very sharp and will probably come a lot sooner than people expect.

Hence the two year deal? Two years seems very short for someone his age.

Right. I'd still rather have Abreu at 5 mil but it's probably just me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:12 am

Like who?

You can point to Travis Hafner (shoulder injury) and Mo Vaughn (weight) who were both elite into their early 30s.

I can point to people like Thome, Giambi, and Delgado who hit their peaks in their early 30s, and are still extremely productive into their late 30s (and you can point to steroids as the explanation)

I hear this a lot that people with "old person skills" (which I guess means power and taking a walk), don't age well, but Dunn is 28, and there is absolutely no indication that he should be any worse than he has been.

Depending on the park (and playing time with their glut of outfielders) he may not be as valuable from a fantasy perspective, but I don't see much indication to think his skills will erode at all in the next 2-4 years.

Dunn is better than Abreu right now - and has been for the last two years. Dunn is still in his prime, while it's clear that Abreu is on the decline. They both stink defensively (though Dunn is worse), but Dunn will likely log more time at 1B now than OF, so that should reduce some of the draft on his value.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:33 am

Curtis Pride wrote:Dunn is better than Abreu right now - and has been for the last two years. Dunn is still in his prime, while it's clear that Abreu is on the decline. They both stink defensively (though Dunn is worse), but Dunn will likely log more time at 1B now than OF, so that should reduce some of the draft on his value.

Wins
Code: Select all
Year  Abreu  Dunn
2002   6.2    4.2
2003   6.3    1.5
2004   5.8    5.2
2005   4.2    3.0
2006   3.4    1.8
2007   2.8    2.8
2008   1.5    1.3

I'm just trying to figure out how Dunn is better and has been over the past two years. ;-)

And Dunn is atrocious at 1B as well, so don't think he won't hurt the team defensively there too. I'd rather have Abreu at $5M (or even $8M) for one year than Dunn on this deal. But I wouldn't want either unless they were willing to DH.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby apz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:35 am

I'll take Abreau, especially for fantasy. Dunn hasn't outperformed Abreau once in his whole career in my points league.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:36 am

Oh, and hopefully this leads to Nick Johnson being in an M's uniform. :-L
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:37 am

Curtis Pride wrote:Like who?

You can point to Travis Hafner (shoulder injury) and Mo Vaughn (weight) who were both elite into their early 30s.

I can point to people like Thome, Giambi, and Delgado who hit their peaks in their early 30s, and are still extremely productive into their late 30s (and you can point to steroids as the explanation)

I hear this a lot that people with "old person skills" (which I guess means power and taking a walk), don't age well, but Dunn is 28, and there is absolutely no indication that he should be any worse than he has been.

Depending on the park (and playing time with their glut of outfielders) he may not be as valuable from a fantasy perspective, but I don't see much indication to think his skills will erode at all in the next 2-4 years.

Dunn is better than Abreu right now - and has been for the last two years. Dunn is still in his prime, while it's clear that Abreu is on the decline. They both stink defensively (though Dunn is worse), but Dunn will likely log more time at 1B now than OF, so that should reduce some of the draft on his value.

Sexson is another one. Dunn is 29 BTW.

It's completely up for debate who is better between Dunn/Abreu. Me, I'd much rather have Abreu for 1 yr at 5 Mil.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers