High groundball / high strikeout pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

High groundball / high strikeout pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: High groundball / high strikeout pitchers

Postby kiwimonster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:27 pm

higherpie this is beautiful, I'm certainly going to use this in my draft prep. Can't thank you enough for the time & effort you put into this.

P.S. I agree with Yoda, I think. I think he's asking for '06 and '07 separate from '08 but I was wondering if you could compile the Z-score for '06-08 averaged? E.g. then pitchers like CM Wang won't be left out.
kiwimonster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:48 pm

No it would be worth seeing 06 and 07 separately to see if you can spot a trend of some sort.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kiwimonster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Yoda wrote:No it would be worth seeing 06 and 07 separately to see if you can spot a trend of some sort.

Gotcha, that makes sense and it's what I thought you were asking for. I'm looking for the same ZScore but for a average K/BB/GB rate for '06-08.

Also, higherpie- have you found or been able to get a copy of Lederer's work in a spreadsheet form?
kiwimonster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kiwimonster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Lederer did a new analysis similar to higherpie's: http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/20 ... g_pi_4.php
kiwimonster
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby higherpie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:25 pm

kiwimonster wrote:
Yoda wrote:No it would be worth seeing 06 and 07 separately to see if you can spot a trend of some sort.

Gotcha, that makes sense and it's what I thought you were asking for. I'm looking for the same ZScore but for a average K/BB/GB rate for '06-08.

Also, higherpie- have you found or been able to get a copy of Lederer's work in a spreadsheet form?

Turns out I've made a new baseball friend! I'm going to be assisting Rich Lederer with some stat compilations and analysis for Baseball Analysts. Anything further that we do on this topic (and hopefully many other topics) will be found there, so make sure you've got the site bookmarked and the RSS feed subscribed to.

Rich mentioned in his article today that he'll be posting "a follow-up piece on Friday with a methodology to rank pitchers across all classifications." http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2009/02/categorizing_pi_4.php

Stay tuned.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby J35J » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:27 pm

...how convenient... ;-7
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby higherpie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:24 pm

As promised, Rich posted further analysis today of pitchers using the Big 3 metrics of K/BF, BB/BF, and GB%, now with weighted Z-scores used to rank them. http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2009/02/using_zscores_t.php

You can see the top tier of both starters and relievers on Baseball Analysts, but be sure to download the spreadsheet that Rich links to to help identify some middle and late round sleepers.

The spreadsheet can also help you identify pitchers you don't want anywhere near your fantasy roster. Hint: Do not draft Tom Gorzelanny.
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Philomath » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm

This will be a great supplement to help me with my projections. Thanks for sharing.
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers