Yahoo Keeper Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Keeper Leagues

Postby Guttenburg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:17 pm

i would figure there was a box or something i had to tick in order to specify that i wanted a "keeper league" but am i wrong in assuming that every league is a keeper league by default? i do see that link under commish tools that brings me to keeper player status...but i don't really even understand this.

like, "This will only apply to players who were assigned as Keepers prior to your draft."???

can't you select who you want to keep at like the trading deadline or something?

signed,
confused
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Guttenburg wrote:so, excuse my ignorance here..but how exactly do i set one of these up? like, do i need to do anything different? i'm racking my brain here. please..anybody. :-[

If you are talking about setting up a brand spankin' new keeper league, for the most part no, not much to be done. You should make sure you set a permanent name/URL for the league during registration, but that is about it.

Most of the features that were added come into play for subsequent seasons of your league, when you may wish to preassign those keepers to team, set a custom non-snaking draft order, set keeper costs to display in the league, etc. etc.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby B-Chad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Hey Genie, thanks for all the help in this thread, as I'm sure everyone here appreciates it. Quick question myself. I'm not the commish of a keeper league I participate in, so I can't look at the draft application, but I'm wondering how setting the draft order works. I know we can do random or custom, but I'm wondering about teams holding multiple picks in a certain round. For instance I dealt a player and my next to last draft choice for a 1st round pick post keepers and a 3rd round pick. So each team will have the correct number of players, how does the commish go about accomodating dealt draft choices? In the past the owner would tell the other drafting owner to select a player for them in the draft lobby chat box. Eliminating that problem would be great in case of dropped connection resulting in an auto pick or what not. Any help or insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guttenburg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 pm

so, apologies, but i'm still a little off about this whole thing. so can we declare keepers midseason? we don't have to determine them before the draft do we?
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:02 pm

B-Chad wrote:Hey Genie, thanks for all the help in this thread, as I'm sure everyone here appreciates it. Quick question myself. I'm not the commish of a keeper league I participate in, so I can't look at the draft application, but I'm wondering how setting the draft order works. I know we can do random or custom, but I'm wondering about teams holding multiple picks in a certain round. For instance I dealt a player and my next to last draft choice for a 1st round pick post keepers and a 3rd round pick. So each team will have the correct number of players, how does the commish go about accomodating dealt draft choices? In the past the owner would tell the other drafting owner to select a player for them in the draft lobby chat box. Eliminating that problem would be great in case of dropped connection resulting in an auto pick or what not. Any help or insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Consider it eliminated. With the new tool, in addition to just setting the order per round, the commish can adjust individual picks in any or all rounds, including pre-assigning keepers to those picks. If you had traded for every single pick in the first round, the commish uses the tool to swap all those picks to you, and your picks to the other owners. As long as every owner has the right number of picks in the end, all is well.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Guttenburg wrote:so, apologies, but i'm still a little off about this whole thing. so can we declare keepers midseason? we don't have to determine them before the draft do we?

No problem, and I'm sorry it isn't more clear. I know the intent was to have an article within the game/help to help players understand how this works, it just hasn't happened yet.

So if there is a use case for declaring keepers in the middle of the season, I'd need help understanding it. That isn't a use case I'm familiar with. Normally a keeper league would choose their keepers anywhere from the end of a season to the beginning of the next season prior to the draft. As it stands now, our tools do not support the actual declaration of those keepers, but that is an obvious extension of what we've done, so that is surely on "the list" of things we might do going forward.

As I mentioned earlier, keeper leagues have a wide array of rules and conventions. The rules that dictate which players can be protected by owners can be very complex. So for now, those rules would be handled offline, outside of the game, and the commissioner would incorporate the results into the custom draft tool. Going forward, we may play a more active role in the actual protection process, but that is how it works today.

Hope this helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I'm asking this question more from the devils advocate side of things than anything else. Can, theoretically, if you join a league ran by some loser, could he, going into the live draft, swap all of the picks so hisself has all of the first round picks? As many people here know, there are a ton of idiots who would do things like this, as well as lock teams and drop players from other teams and pick them up whenever he chooses.
I don't ask this to give people ideas, but more as a possible warning for those who join random leagues.
Thanks
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:13 am

DaShiz23 wrote:I'm asking this question more from the devils advocate side of things than anything else. Can, theoretically, if you join a league ran by some loser, could he, going into the live draft, swap all of the picks so hisself has all of the first round picks? As many people here know, there are a ton of idiots who would do things like this, as well as lock teams and drop players from other teams and pick them up whenever he chooses.
I don't ask this to give people ideas, but more as a possible warning for those who join random leagues.
Thanks

In theory this could happen. The perspective I can give on this is: if you join a private league with a commish you don't know, that is definitely a risk, as the commish by definition has powers other managers do not. As a rule of thumb, the way we try to temper this is by letting the commish do the things that s/he needs to do, but making sure the league can tell what was done. In this case, if a commish did this,
a) at any point prior to the draft you can look at the Draft Results tab to see the custom draft order if one was set
b) the league transactions will show entries reflecting what he did. Let me pull up an example to paste in the exact text... you'd see a series of transactions like so:

2/11 Individual draft picks customized Genie
2/11 Custom non-snaking draft order set for all rounds Genie
2/11 Draft Order changed from 'random' to 'custom' Genie

Indicating that not only did the commish muck with the draft order, he tweaked individual picks within the rounds.

A nefarious commish could certainly do such things right before a draft hoping you didn't notice... at that point all I could say is that our customer care people really do a good job of trying to help deal with the people who try to ruin games for others. It is a tough line to walk; letting people do all the crazy things they want to do, but not do *too* much...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:54 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I'm asking this question more from the devils advocate side of things than anything else. Can, theoretically, if you join a league ran by some loser, could he, going into the live draft, swap all of the picks so hisself has all of the first round picks? As many people here know, there are a ton of idiots who would do things like this, as well as lock teams and drop players from other teams and pick them up whenever he chooses.
Thanks

In theory this could happen. The perspective I can give on this is: if you join a private league with a commish you don't know, that is definitely a risk, as the commish by definition has powers other managers do not. As a rule of thumb, the way we try to temper this is by letting the commish do the things that s/he needs to do, but making sure the league can tell what was done. In this case, if a commish did this,
a) at any point prior to the draft you can look at the Draft Results tab to see the custom draft order if one was set
b) the league transactions will show entries reflecting what he did. Let me pull up an example to paste in the exact text... you'd see a series of transactions like so:

2/11 Individual draft picks customized Genie
2/11 Custom non-snaking draft order set for all rounds Genie
2/11 Draft Order changed from 'random' to 'custom' Genie

Indicating that not only did the commish muck with the draft order, he tweaked individual picks within the rounds.

A nefarious commish could certainly do such things right before a draft hoping you didn't notice... at that point all I could say is that our customer care people really do a good job of trying to help deal with the people who try to ruin games for others. It is a tough line to walk; letting people do all the crazy things they want to do, but not do *too* much...

I appreciate a response here, Genie. You certainly kow your stuff. This is exactly why you do not waste your time in public leagues you are unfamiliar with.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 am

Genie,

I'm afraid I know the answer to this question, but if I've already submitted our off-line draft results and started my league's season, is it too late to tag players as keepers? If so, is it possible to undo the season start?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 324)

PreviousNext