Total Bases Allowed Category - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Total Bases Allowed Category

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Total Bases Allowed Category

Postby Soxcess11 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 pm

hey guys, we're looking to replace the loss category with total bases allowed this year. 12 team Head 2 Head (9X9). I'm interested in hearing from anybody who's played in a league with TBA as a category. How many TBA does a starter normally give up in an average start? Are walks included in TBA? Where does the cumulative total for the week end up at? Do you guys like the category? Please help. Thanks!
Soxcess11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Total Bases Allowed Category

Postby aplviper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 pm

I have never used it, and I wouldn't care to either. Why should a pitcher be punished with 2 extra TBA when a fielder diving for a ball misses, and it end up a triple, instead of having it drop in front of him for a single? Also, walks are not included in Total Bases.
aplviper
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Total Bases Allowed Category

Postby briane » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 pm

By the same token, why should a pitcher be helped when a double into the gap is snared by the fielder and made into a single?
Or when, with a runner on second, a weak-armed OF can not throw the runner out at home on a single? Why should the pitcher be punished with a run?

Because, hopefully, it all evens out (somewhat) in the end, and pitchers who give up hard hits are more likely to give up extra base hits than those who give up weak flies. We play the game based on stats, and I think that is a decent stat. However, I would use TB/IP to make it more like WHIP. The problem with not using Innings is to look at these two pitching lines:

Pitcher A 5 Ip, 5 hits, incl. 2 2b, 1 hr, for a total of 10 bases.
Pitcher B 9 ip, 7 hits, incl. 1 2b, 1 hr, for a total of 11 bases.

You could also make a category of Toal Bases plus Hits. Me, I'd rather use something like opponents OPS, which takes these into account.
briane
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner