Adrian Gonzalez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Adrian Gonzalez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adrian Gonzalez

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Anyone else feel as though he's being vastly overrated this year? I've seen him go as early as the mid 30's. There's no way .285 32hr 110rbi and 95r are worth that. If he got traded out of SD, I'd be excited, but I think he'll regress a bit from last year's stats considering how high his hr/fb was.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Adrian Gonzalez

Postby HasteTheDay » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:48 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Let someone else take him 3-4 rds earlier than he should be going for.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:55 pm

His MDP is, in fact, in the mid 30's. So, he is actually going higher in some drafts? What hitters would you take before him?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:30 pm

i totally agree. every time i see a mock or ranking or whatever, i shake my head when i see Adrian going that soon. i don't think he is a top 50 player.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 am

yea, i didn't check his adp before i posted. i knew it was higher than i'd take him, but i didn't realize it was that high. as for whom i'd take before him, let's see:

players with a lower adp from MDC - quentin, kemp, rios, mccann, papi, peavy, webb, hamels, mauer, mclouth, granderson, roberts, and probably papelbon, martin, chris davis, vlad, and haren. the last 5 are the only ones that are really even close for me, and i'm pretty sure i'd take them all before a-gone.

that puts him right outside the top 50. he's a good player and young enough to improve some more. but between his home park, the weak SD lineup, his hr/fb spike last year, and his dwindling contact rate and average versus lefties, i see his numbers regressing a bit from last year. i like him, but unfortunately, i won't be taking him on many teams this year. i'm also keeping mclouth over a-gone in a long term keeper even though i'm already overloaded with outfielders. i plan on drafting chris davis.

call me when a-gone gets traded.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 am

Pedros Little Friend wrote:yea, i didn't check his adp before i posted. i knew it was higher than i'd take him, but i didn't realize it was that high. as for whom i'd take before him, let's see:

players with a lower adp from MDC - quentin, kemp, rios, mccann, papi, peavy, webb, hamels, mauer, mclouth, granderson, roberts, and probably papelbon, martin, chris davis, vlad, and haren. the last 5 are the only ones that are really even close for me, and i'm pretty sure i'd take them all before a-gone.

that puts him right outside the top 50. he's a good player and young enough to improve some more. but between his home park, the weak SD lineup, his hr/fb spike last year, and his dwindling contact rate and average versus lefties, i see his numbers regressing a bit from last year. i like him, but unfortunately, i won't be taking him on many teams this year. i'm also keeping mclouth over a-gone in a long term keeper even though i'm already overloaded with outfielders. i plan on drafting chris davis.

call me when a-gone gets traded.

Can't fault you for most of those guys, though I'd definitely take A-Gone before a bunch (McCann, Papi, Mauer, McLouth, Grandy, Martin, Davis, and Haren).

You predicted .285, 32, 110, 95 for Agone. Do you really think Chris Davis will do better in his first full year?

FYI - MDC severely undervalues Quentin. His MDP (see my report) is actually 5 above A-Gone.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby brotherbird » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:22 pm

Agree with lettin him slide too and I had him last year. Will his numbers be that much better than Youkilis or Huff (dual eligibility?), Delgado, Pena, Giambi, or Jacobs?
brotherbird
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:27 pm

brotherbird wrote:Agree with lettin him slide too and I had him last year. Will his numbers be that much better than Youkilis or Huff (dual eligibility?), Delgado, Pena, Giambi, or Jacobs?

Come to think of it, I'm better off taking Mike Jacobs in the 3rd round.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Old_Style » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Don't be silly. Jacobs can be had in the fourth.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby denicola_dominates » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:34 pm

jacobs and gonzalez are overrated do not be fooled they are good picks but perhaps a little later tin the draft such as 4th, 5th, or maybe even 6th rounds. they are pretty much even by means of talent and production personally id go for gonzalez over jacobs if i had the option o
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates