Dayan Viciendo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Dayan Viciendo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dayan Viciendo?

Postby whatinthebluehell » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Real deal or just a bunch of hype? He's being hyped like the next young Griffey or ARod. What do you know about him?
whatinthebluehell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 97
Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:03 pm

I honestly think he's going to be a bit of a monster but I really doubt he can stick at 3B or OF. I think he'll be the heir to Konerko at 1B. That being said, even though he's trimmed down, he's still very large, young, and only 6'0 but could grow more. Though, that should translate to some power, I'm going to question the his plate discipline.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8474
(Past Year: 103)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby J35J » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Though, that should translate to some power, I'm going to question the his plate discipline.


Yup, thats kinda what I'm thinking....solid power but question the plate discipline and contact rate ability until I see it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10464
(Past Year: 620)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:00 am

I'm not really seeing his plate discipline issues for a 19 yr old. BP has the same concerns, his last 3 years (he was horrible in his first season) in the Cuban leagues have been good. 899 PA with 98 BB's and 123 K's. That's pretty good for ages 17-19 in what is considered AA level baseball.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5291
(Past Year: 522)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby 05worldserieschamps » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:24 pm

I think he certainly has some things to work on-- such as plate discipline and his weight-- but I still think he has a chance to be a great player. I just hope White Sox fans realize that this probably isn't the next Alexei Ramirez. He probably won't jump right in to the starting spot like the Cuban Missile did, as Alexei has 8 years on him. He is more of a long-term investment.
Is pushing for President Obama to pass a law requiring all citizens to be Chicago White Sox fans and make October 1st "White Sox Day" where we all dress as our favorite player. It maybe socialist, but I don't care.
05worldserieschamps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
Joined: 2 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kentucky

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby mission27 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:10 pm

What are the chances he starts in 2009 though? I picked him up in a dynasty league, and I'd like to see him play a little.

I'm hearing he came into camp at 240, not the 270 that most people were thinking, so hopefully that helps. I was just surprised to hear that a 19 year old was competing for a job in spring training.
Image
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1132
Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Connecticut

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby mission27 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Does anyone know where I can find his stats from Cuba?
Image
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1132
Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Connecticut

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby 05worldserieschamps » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:50 pm

I don't think he has a very good chance of playing at all this season. It wouldn't completely surprise me if he came up as a september callup, but I don't even expect that. He's getting a lot of hype, which I think is well deserved for the long term, but not for the short. I think that hype is the result of Alexei Ramirez. But Alexei was a lot older.

I expect Josh Fields to start at third. Let's not forget he hit 23 home runs in half a season in 2007, then was sent back down to make room for Crede. I think we will see a lot of power from Fields this year, as long as he can keep that average above the mendoza line.
Is pushing for President Obama to pass a law requiring all citizens to be Chicago White Sox fans and make October 1st "White Sox Day" where we all dress as our favorite player. It maybe socialist, but I don't care.
05worldserieschamps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
Joined: 2 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kentucky

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby mission27 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:24 pm

05worldserieschamps wrote:I don't think he has a very good chance of playing at all this season. It wouldn't completely surprise me if he came up as a september callup, but I don't even expect that. He's getting a lot of hype, which I think is well deserved for the long term, but not for the short. I think that hype is the result of Alexei Ramirez. But Alexei was a lot older.

I expect Josh Fields to start at third. Let's not forget he hit 23 home runs in half a season in 2007, then was sent back down to make room for Crede. I think we will see a lot of power from Fields this year, as long as he can keep that average above the mendoza line.


But he did put up .337 and 14 homers as a 16 year old in Cuba. I mean Cuban baseball is probably a higher level than AAA. If he was doing that at AAA, he'd be a lock to make the club in spring.
Image
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1132
Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Connecticut

Re: Dayan Viciendo?

Postby 05worldserieschamps » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:34 pm

mission27 wrote:
05worldserieschamps wrote:I don't think he has a very good chance of playing at all this season. It wouldn't completely surprise me if he came up as a september callup, but I don't even expect that. He's getting a lot of hype, which I think is well deserved for the long term, but not for the short. I think that hype is the result of Alexei Ramirez. But Alexei was a lot older.

I expect Josh Fields to start at third. Let's not forget he hit 23 home runs in half a season in 2007, then was sent back down to make room for Crede. I think we will see a lot of power from Fields this year, as long as he can keep that average above the mendoza line.


But he did put up .337 and 14 homers as a 16 year old in Cuba. I mean Cuban baseball is probably a higher level than AAA. If he was doing that at AAA, he'd be a lock to make the club in spring.


Yeah, but had he of done that in AAA, he'd probably be older. I'm saying the White Sox aren't going to rush him. No need to. It doesn't matter what kind of stats someone puts up, I don't think there is any reason to bring up a 19 year old unless it's out of necessity or a once in a lifetime talent. Dayan's case is neither.
Is pushing for President Obama to pass a law requiring all citizens to be Chicago White Sox fans and make October 1st "White Sox Day" where we all dress as our favorite player. It maybe socialist, but I don't care.
05worldserieschamps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
Joined: 2 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kentucky

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Apr. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(1:05 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Seattle at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Atlanta at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(1:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact