Australian State Of Victoria Is On Fire :( - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Australian State Of Victoria Is On Fire :(

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Australian State Of Victoria Is On Fire :(

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 am

http://skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=301174

The death toll from Victoria's bushfires has risen to 84 in what has officially become Australia's deadliest bushfires disaster.

As dozens of blazes continued to rage on Sunday night, it seemed certain that the rapidly-unfolding disaster would claim many more lives.

By 8.30pm (AEDT), at least 750 homes had been destroyed, more than 330,000 hectares burnt out - 220,000ha alone in the Kinglake Complex wildfire - while authorities said some fires could take weeks to contain.

Entire towns were wiped out while communities in Dederang, Taggerty and Glenburn in the state's north were still under threat on Sunday night, almost 36 hours after the first fires were sparked by record heat and winds on Saturday.

The toll already surpasses the 47 deaths in Victoria and 28 in South Australia in the 1983 Ash Wednesday fires, while the Black Friday blaze in 1939 claimed 71 lives.

Ten people remain in a critical condition in hospital with serious burns.

The Kinglake region, about 80km north of Melbourne, was the worst hit - at least 550 homes razed and 63 deaths reported in the area as of 8.30pm (AEDT) on Sunday as the furious 220,000-hectare inferno, known as the Kinglake Complex, gave locals little chance.

One fire official said the blaze had a perimeter of 'several hundred' kilometres.

They showed a map on the news last night, and there was only a strip up the middle of the state that didn't have fires in it.

I live in western Bendigo and my side of the town was on fire...........

http://skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=301169

Parts of Bendigo, in central Victoria, look like a war zone after having been ravaged by a bushfire moving at break-neck speed.

The fire engulfed 50 homes, and resulted in the death of one man confined to a motorised chair.

.......I have some photos on my camera I'll post them when I can. The fire stopped one block from my house. PHEW does not describe the relief. One of my buddies house was safe by one house section. Lucky _______d. :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Australian State Of Victoria Is On Fire :(

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:43 am

cant you guys just use water like the rest of the world when there's a fire? ;-7

in all seriousness, im glad you're all right

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:24 pm

I mean you are surrounded by water just splash that on the fire, :-D

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Currently 11:30 AM Sunday here, so weird to hear about fires that haven't happened yet (article says 8:30 PM Sunday, which is tonight). :-b

Not meaning to make light of it though, I hope they get those fires put out quick and no more lives or towns are lost. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheJanitor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Are the kangaroos safe?
TheJanitor
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ayebatter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Hate to see huge fires, I've been evacuated twice in the last 4 yrs for huge fires in the mountains where I live.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:cant you guys just use water like the rest of the world when there's a fire? ;-7

Australia is suffering through a 7 year drought. They've stopped irregation to their main farmlands and are using water for drinking only. The situation is beyond critical and Australia may become one huge desert in our lifetime. The Aussie PM is now not so sure that global warming is not serious. This is serious stuff.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:cant you guys just use water like the rest of the world when there's a fire? ;-7

Australia is suffering through a 7 year drought. They've stopped irregation to their main farmlands and are using water for drinking only. The situation is beyond critical and Australia may become one huge desert in our lifetime. The Aussie PM is now not so sure that global warming is not serious. This is serious stuff.

cant they just import water from somewhere?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smoovethug » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Sad news, hope it all gets under control quickly. Glad to hear you're okay also, I guess.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:26 am

Suspicions that the worst wildfires ever to strike Australia were deliberately set led police to declare crime scenes Monday in towns incinerated by blazes

Officials believe arson may be behind at least some of the more than 400 fires that tore a destructive path across a vast swath of southern Victoria state over the weekend.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_australia_wildfires

Wow. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk