Arod & steroids (UPDATE) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 10, 2009 11:06 am

KCollins1304 wrote:Isn't that what people like Whitlock are doing?

Why wasn't it done then? is what I asked. Where was Whitlock during all of her other articles for S.I. Where was he during the initial Arod story? (They are actually going to leave that one alone since her anonymous sources were spot on there.)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby walkoffblast » Sun May 10, 2009 11:22 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It definitely seems to be working. But there is something about it that gives me the willies. Anyway, I guess I'd much rather see people attacking the book on a factual level than an ad hominem assault, which is what this seems like to me.

Admittedly, I haven't - and won't - read the book, but it sounds like the the way she constructed the book is such that the only way to refute her claims is to make a counter book entitled "Uh Uh." I mean, every source is supposed to be off the record. It's a pile of hearsay and conjecture. How do you combat that???

Actually, I'm sure the Hooters waitresses that only got 15% aren't off the record, but let's face it. Who cares? :-b

Exactly. How do you attack the book on a factual level when most of the book is based on unnamed sources?

Well, if she is so obviously wrong then could you not, I dunno, provide the facts that say she is not right? Do some not realize the reason a lot of these sources are anonymous is that if they are not there are huge legal issues those people could face?

The smart alec answer is get your own anonymous sources.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun May 10, 2009 11:43 am

Amazinz wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:...most of the book is based on unnamed sources?

You can attack the lack of sources. It's the attack on her integrity that is problematic to me. If her professional and personal integrity needed to be called into question due to the Duke case why wasn't it done then?

It isn't her integrity that is being questioned it is her objectivity. This is an author that has already once started out to prove her point and gone forward with conjecture and untrue assumptions. I don't think anyone is accusing her of knowingly railroading the Duke lacrosse team but instead jumping to conclusions because they proved her point. I'm willing to bet most of the Arod booking is true but if someone makes a honest mistake and fails to recognize why it happened or take any responsibiltiy for why it happened then I'm going to think they are capable of doing it again.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby walkoffblast » Mon May 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:...most of the book is based on unnamed sources?

You can attack the lack of sources. It's the attack on her integrity that is problematic to me. If her professional and personal integrity needed to be called into question due to the Duke case why wasn't it done then?

It isn't her integrity that is being questioned it is her objectivity. This is an author that has already once started out to prove her point and gone forward with conjecture and untrue assumptions. I don't think anyone is accusing her of knowingly railroading the Duke lacrosse team but instead jumping to conclusions because they proved her point. I'm willing to bet most of the Arod booking is true but if someone makes a honest mistake and fails to recognize why it happened or take any responsibiltiy for why it happened then I'm going to think they are capable of doing it again.

I doubt she claims the book is objective fact. More of a this is what I now believe based on what I have heard from various sources while covering this topic.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon May 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Roger Clemens attacking Selena Roberts tomorrow on Mike and Mike isn't really going to help anything.
http://deadspin.com/5249635/clemens-to- ... na-roberts
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby moochman » Mon May 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Roger Clemens attacking Selena Roberts tomorrow on Mike and Mike isn't really going to help anything.
http://deadspin.com/5249635/clemens-to- ... na-roberts

So does having someone of dubious character questioning her character give her more or less credibility?

As the Duke Lacrosse case points out, Selena Roberts isn't one to retract from her initial assertions. She went from crying rape to bemoaning the wrongness of athletic party behavior and mysongyny bys the Dukees, as if that were their exclusive domain. Wow breaking news there Selena.
But A Rod did own up to doing steroids when he was young and dumb and full of Human Gonadal Tropin. (At least during down cycles) So he gives her cred on this story. Just how much is yet to be determined.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers