Arod & steroids (UPDATE) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Breaking News: AROD Tested positive for steroids

Postby ironman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:58 pm

chargerss24 wrote:I blame Buddy boy Selig. The explosion in homers started coming shortly after the time the strike ended. They wanted fans back and what greater way to do that than with the long ball? Selig and company just turned a blind eye to the situation to bring baseball back and in turn line their greedy wallets.

Yes, but don't forget the fans and the press. Everybody was eating up this new power surge without really questioning much at all. Not saying MLB isn't guilty but everybody was on that bus when it was running full steam.

Armed and Hammered wrote:This is never gonna end until Bonds' records are erased. That is all Bud wants and until he gets it baseball is gonna be drug thru the mud time and time again with stories like these. But the NFl is as clean as they come, gimme a break.

Yeah but who's the most likely to break Bonds' record?

A-Rod.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Yawn.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:22 pm

i'm surprised i haven't seen 'A-Roid' used yet.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 pm

I guess my only wonder is how many of these athletes were aware of the rampant use of steroids and it basically forced their hand into feeling compelled to use them just to stay at a certain level. I guess we'll never really know the answer.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:28 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I guess my only wonder is how many of these athletes were aware of the rampant use of steroids and it basically forced their hand into feeling compelled to use them just to stay at a certain level. I guess we'll never really know the answer.

Hence Bonds is easily a 1st ballot HOFer.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Only was surprised because I didn't really expect any more huge names to come out retroactively.

But as far as it being A-Rod, no, it doesn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me that anyone did them. Not a big deal, doesn't bother me in the least.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:37 pm

ironman wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:I blame Buddy boy Selig. The explosion in homers started coming shortly after the time the strike ended. They wanted fans back and what greater way to do that than with the long ball? Selig and company just turned a blind eye to the situation to bring baseball back and in turn line their greedy wallets.

Yes, but don't forget the fans and the press. Everybody was eating up this new power surge without really questioning much at all. Not saying MLB isn't guilty but everybody was on that bus when it was running full steam.

You make it sound like it's the duty of baseball fans/press to ensure that their sport is played in a fair manner. People watch baseball because it's entertaining, not because they feel the need to protect its integrity. That's the commissioner's job.

The whole steroid era isn't Selig's fault either, but he has definitely done a less than stellar job dealing with it.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby noseeum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
ironman wrote:

You make it sound like it's the duty of baseball fans/press to ensure that their sport is played in a fair manner. People watch baseball because it's entertaining, not because they feel the need to protect its integrity. That's the commissioner's job.

The whole steroid era isn't Selig's fault either, but he has definitely done a less than stellar job dealing with it.

This IS the obligation of the press. Reporters knew what was going on and did nothing about it. It's the same thing that has happened in Washington with the press. Too many reporters got too enamored with their access and did whatever they could to protect that access. They forgot that the whole purpose of that access was to get us the truth. The relationship between baseball writers and baseball players is supposed to be adversarial. Unfortunately, too many baseball beat writers are glorified locker room groupies.

Sure, fans don't have any obligation to know what they're not told, but the press is just as much at fault as baseball itself.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Canseco actually did tell us this last year. I guess he's the only person you can trust anymore. :-b
Last edited by mweir145 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:49 pm

Matthias wrote:I'm surprised: there never had been any whiff of steroids around A-Rod. And not that Schilling is a sage, but you gotta figure that the guys playing have a good idea of who was juicing and who wasn't, and he commented a couple of years ago about the amazing thing about A-Rod was that he was doing it clean.

I personally don't believe anything that's ever come out of Curt Schilling's mouth (and yes, that includes his own denials about using PEDs).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers