Arod & steroids (UPDATE) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod & steroids (UPDATE)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Breaking News: AROD Tested positive for steroids

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:59 am

BORING! This is like finding out Barry did steroids.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:01 pm

ugh :-/
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Cow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:01 pm

I am not at all surprised. Lump AROD with Bonds if you must, but the reality is steroids was not an isolated incident in MLB, steroids was and perhaps still is an epidemic. Though I believe now MLB players are using HGH as opposed to steroids or whatever the new designer drug of choice is. Players will do whatever they can to get the multi-million dollar contracts and I can't blame them.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I honestly didn't even blink when I saw the headline. Maybe I'm jaded but this wasn't shocking to me and when even more names come out it won't be shocking then either. It's sad but that's the stigma that now comes with putting up huge numbers during that era.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:06 pm

It is sad... I guess we're just going to have to accept all this stuff and hope it blows over for the new generation.

It's also sad that by page 32 of this thread we'll be full-on into a pathetic Red Sox vs. Yankees debate.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby noseeum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Well, this should help McGwire with his HOF bid.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:It is sad... I guess we're just going to have to accept all this stuff and hope it blows over for the new generation.

It's also sad that by page 32 of this thread we'll be full-on into a pathetic Red Sox vs. Yankees debate.

Well the Yankees DID have Roger Clemens, Andy Petitte, Gary Sheffield, Jason Giambi, Kevin Brown, Jason Grimsley, David Justice, Chuck Knoblauch, Mike Stanton and now A-Rod all listed....just to name a few.

Meanwhile the Red Sox had....Manny Alexander. So yeah.

;-7 ;-)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby neoforce » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:18 pm

higherpie wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:o/u on # of pages of this thread is set at 20.

I'll take the way over.

:-D careful... I recently made a guess like this, and then reposted when the thread hit the end of 19 pages that we were about to make my bet true, when a mod locked the thread just to make me wrong!! :-D

Seriously, I'm a big fan of Arod, and while I'm not happy, I'm not too surprised. A few years ago, in any steroid debate I would fight against Bonds in the hall, or that what he did was tolerable.

I've changed my thinking. Many, many thoughtful cafe people have swung me the other way. That while steroids were cheating, cheating has been part of the game since it was born. Bonds, Mac and everyone else belong in the Hall because what they did was still special. Not everyone who took steroids could hit home runs the way they could.

I think we move on and try to look at it this way: Baseball tests as best as they can. Baseball fights the battle that all sports fight where new designer drugs result in new tests, with some people getting an edge for a while. And us fans? Enjoy what happens in the field, and enjoy these endless debates. That also is what baseball is about.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby noseeum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:29 pm

neoforce wrote:
higherpie wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:o/u on # of pages of this thread is set at 20.

I'll take the way over.

:-D careful... I recently made a guess like this, and then reposted when the thread hit the end of 19 pages that we were about to make my bet true, when a mod locked the thread just to make me wrong!! :-D

Seriously, I'm a big fan of Arod, and while I'm not happy, I'm not too surprised. A few years ago, in any steroid debate I would fight against Bonds in the hall, or that what he did was tolerable.

I've changed my thinking. Many, many thoughtful cafe people have swung me the other way. That while steroids were cheating, cheating has been part of the game since it was born. Bonds, Mac and everyone else belong in the Hall because what they did was still special. Not everyone who took steroids could hit home runs the way they could.

I think we move on and try to look at it this way: Baseball tests as best as they can. Baseball fights the battle that all sports fight where new designer drugs result in new tests, with some people getting an edge for a while. And us fans? Enjoy what happens in the field, and enjoy these endless debates. That also is what baseball is about.

I think Bonds is the best illustration of the obvious pressure players felt to take steroids. He knew he was the best player in baseball, and it pissed him off to see Sosa and McGwire getting all the love for using steroids. It pissed him off so much, he said to himself, "You want to see a real player with steroids? I'll show you mofo's. Watch this." He didn't use them for years when other did.

That's what happens when owners, GMs, coaches, and the union look the other way and the press gives all the juicers the love. I forget who it was, but from 1998 to 2002 someone raised the issue with the union, saying players that really don't want to take steroids feel forced to, but the union did nothing.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Mike Greenwell never took steroids.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext