Help From Anyone Experienced With ESPN Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help From Anyone Experienced With ESPN Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help From Anyone Experienced With ESPN Fantasy Baseball

Postby jaypubs » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:27 pm

OK - I have a very basic question about ESPN fantasy baseball, but I can't figure out the answer based on the ESPN rule page.

So the ESPN rules say that when a player is on the free agent wire, and his real-life team starts to play in a game, that player is locked and cannot be picked up. It would seem that this is to avoid a situation where a player surprisingly hits 4 home runs, and there's a race to the computer to pick a guy up (such as is the case on Yahoo). That makes sense to me.

Now my question is - how and when do those players become available again? Let's say I have a rotisserie league with weekly lineups and lineups are set on Monday. When Monday night's games start, does every free agent go onto waivers? If so, when are waivers run? At 3am the next morning? At the end of the week? Does it depend on how long my "waiver time" is set for?

And, if it depends on my waiver settings....let's say my waiver time is set for 3 days, and during that 3 day stretch, the player plays 2 more games. Does his waiver clock get reset every time he plays a game? or is it 3 days from the first game he played when he was a free agent?

This is my first-ever post but I've found this site very helpful, and I hope someone out there can decipher my complicated question and help me out....
jaypubs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help From Anyone Experienced With ESPN Fantasy Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:04 am

Not sure if this is helpful, as I don't play in weekly leagues, but in my daily leagues free agents can be picked up at any time. They don't become unavailable when their team is playing or anything like you described. However, after any MLB game has started for the day (or week in your case), you won't be able to start any free agents you pick up until the following day/week. But as far as I know there's nothing that would stop anyone from picking up a guy who just hit 4 home runs, even if the game is still underway.

Oh, and congrats on the first post. As I'm sure you've realized, this place is an invaluable resource.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jaypubs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Well...here's a quote from ESPN's 2009 Fantasy Baseball Rules website:

FREE AGENCY AND CLAIM STATUS
Any undrafted player is available to add to your team immediately if he is listed as "FA" (Free Agent). Players listed in claim status are locked. This happens during games or the waiver claim period is in effect. So when are unclaimed players locked? Each day, players may NOT be added or dropped on a team's roster or traded, from the beginning of their first game of the day time until the start of the next scoring period. Starting every day, the waiver period within your league (if you have one) will then begin and all players are available to be moved, claimed etc.

So maybe this is a new rule that has been added for 2009?
jaypubs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Interesting find. I think I agree with your interpretation of the rule, which would indeed make it a new rule. I'm 98% positive the only players that were ever in "Claim" status last year were players on waivers. You never had to claim FA's, you could add them any time. Another thing I'll have to email them about I guess... Good eye.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jaypubs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:Interesting find. I think I agree with your interpretation of the rule, which would indeed make it a new rule. I'm 98% positive the only players that were ever in "Claim" status last year were players on waivers. You never had to claim FA's, you could add them any time. Another thing I'll have to email them about I guess... Good eye.

Please let me know if you find out anything. I emailed them and they confirmed that players cannot be picked up once their game starts, but they did not explain what happens next.

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:
1) players go on hold when their game starts, then at some arbitrary point after all games are over (say, 3am EST), every player will become a free agent again
2) players go onto waivers when their game starts, and then waivers are run once all games are over (3am), and then anyone not claimed is a free agent when i wake up the next morning
3) players go onto waivers when their game starts, but remain on waivers for the period equal to your league's "waiver period". In other words, it's as though all the free agents have been "dropped" from a roster when their game starts, and you have to wait 2 or 3 days for them to be free agents again.
jaypubs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:33 pm

jaypubs wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:Interesting find. I think I agree with your interpretation of the rule, which would indeed make it a new rule. I'm 98% positive the only players that were ever in "Claim" status last year were players on waivers. You never had to claim FA's, you could add them any time. Another thing I'll have to email them about I guess... Good eye.

Please let me know if you find out anything. I emailed them and they confirmed that players cannot be picked up once their game starts, but they did not explain what happens next.

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:
1) players go on hold when their game starts, then at some arbitrary point after all games are over (say, 3am EST), every player will become a free agent again
2) players go onto waivers when their game starts, and then waivers are run once all games are over (3am), and then anyone not claimed is a free agent when i wake up the next morning
3) players go onto waivers when their game starts, but remain on waivers for the period equal to your league's "waiver period". In other words, it's as though all the free agents have been "dropped" from a roster when their game starts, and you have to wait 2 or 3 days for them to be free agents again.

It sounds like #2 to me. If it's #3 I will be shocked and appalled. I'll let you know what I find out...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:56 pm

It looks like the rule you cited only applies to Standard and Prize-Eligible leagues. If you are using a Custom league, free agents should remain available at all times. When you're on the Rules page make sure you're clicking the links for custom leagues, because the others are right there next to it... it can be confusing. But they're different sets of rules.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:00 pm

OK, after a lengthy back-and-forth between me and ESPN customer service it seems that that particular section of the rules is just poorly written and free agents will in fact be available at any time. The only players under "Claim" status will be players on waivers. Sheesh... it was a lot harder than I expected to get an answer to what I thought was a simple question...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner