ESPN league settings help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

ESPN league settings help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN league settings help

Postby barlow078 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Unlike Yahoo, ESPN does not have a Total IP option, instead it makes you state how many IP per slot you would like to have.

I have a question regarding that issue...

Per my league setup, we start 3SP, 3P (any), 2 RP and our total IP limit is 1450 per season.

If I set the IP per slot to 181, then it states that my max IP is 1448 (close enough).

Now, regarding this 1448...it says it averages out to 543 IP per lot...thats where the confusion comes in.

With this setup, If I wanted to start 6 SP (3 in SP spot, 3 in P spot) and they logged more than 1086 IP for the season, then would those extra IP count and simply eat from the RP IP remaining (assuming I don't go over 1448 total) or would 1086IP be the max for non RPs?

This is very confusing compared to how Yahoo has it set up.

All responses are welcome!
barlow078
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN league settings help

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:07 am

I actually have the same question and I've been using ESPN for 3 years now. They just added that option this year and it's extremely confusing. I'll email them and let you know what I find out.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby barlow078 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 am

Trojan Pony wrote:I actually have the same question and I've been using ESPN for 3 years now. They just added that option this year and it's extremely confusing. I'll email them and let you know what I find out.

I emailed them and their reply was that there IS a max limit.

This was my message to them:
--------------- Original Message ---------------

There's no Total IP limit on your service. I'm assuming if I put it at 181 IP per slot on the IP Limits menu, then it will be 1448 total.

With my league, our rules state that we have to start 3 SP, 3 P(any) and 2 RP. When I set up the IP limits, it stated 543 IP per slot average (for 1448). Is that just an average or a max? If I slate 6 SP total in my SP and P slots (3 each)..and they log over 1086 IP total, will the extra innings they log count, as long as its not more than 1448?

Their response:
Dear James,

Thank you for contacting us. When you set up your IP limits at 543, this would be the max at each pitcher position. Any additional innings they pitch beyond their max would not count.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 7:00 am and 2:00 am EST.

Regards,

Drew
ESPN.com Customer Care

Because of this, I will not be using ESPN for my league....what a joke. I'll stick with Yahoo.
barlow078
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:44 pm

That is ridiculously stupid. How could they possibly think that's a good system?? Hopefully they're getting a lot of emails about this and they'll change it QUICK.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Interesting. After some prodding on my part, they finally answered that it IS in fact an overall limit, not a hard limit on each individual slot, even though they calculate the limit per slot. Here's what they said:

=============================================================================

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct in stating that the innings pitched limits are an average in this situation. In other words, as an example, if you wanted to set a innings-pitched limit to 1600 for eight slots, the average per-slot limit would be 200 innings, but the stats would not necessarily turn off for a slot that reaches that limit. The stats would shut off only on the day that the overall limit of 1600 innings is reached.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 7:00 am and 2:00 am EST.

Regards,

Luke

==============================================================================

I then emailed them back suggesting that they change it to just an overall GS/IP limit, as that's what people are used to and the way they have it set up now is confusing. But yeah, if you have 7 pitching slots and set it to 200 innings per slot, then you SHOULD have a limit of 1400 IP's overall, if what they told me is accurate. So either they gave ME the wrong information or YOU the wrong information, because they certainly seem contradictory. But I think it is in fact an overall limit as I was told; I would be surprised otherwise.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner