Drafttracker (Excel Kit) - Final Update 3.21.09 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafttracker (Excel Kit) - Final Update 3.21.09

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafttracker (Excel Kit) - Final Update 3.21.09

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:41 am

I'm trying to prepare for the draft and wanted to see if there is an easy way to do this.

I have 4 sheets:
1. Player Projections
2. Overall ranking
3. Tier ranking
4. Draft tracker

Basically, when I enter a player's name in the Draft Tracker which shows all the teams by round, pick, I want that player's name deleted from all the other sheets. Last year I linked the names from each sheet so that when I deleted a name from Sheet 3, it would be deleted from all the other sheets. But I had to enter the name in Sheet 4 and delete the name from Sheet 3 in order to make this work. Very tedious.
Last edited by Yoda on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Excel Help

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 am

You can do just about everything in Excel. I'm sure there is a way and I like where your head is at. I'll make one up and see if I can get it to work.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:00 pm

I may have found a way. By using an IF statement and adding an extra column to your 4th sheet, you can tie it to the other sheets and either the text of the player will show up if he's available, or whatever you want if he's not. It might take some extra work to type out all the player names again since you need to add them to the formula. But it might be worth it if it's what you're looking for. At this point I might just go with this way since I don't even know where to look for another option.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Yoda if you come up with something like that I would like to see it.

I am not good at Excel either, I can do the basics, but that sounds like a good idea.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Oops I lied. I just looked at my draft kit and I only have 3 sheets:
1. Projections
2. Overall/Tier Ranking (I have them side by side so that I can scan quickly)
3. Draft Tracker

Still, the idea is the same. If I put the name in the Draft Tracker sheet, I want that name deleted in all the other sheets.

I am also thinking about linking players name to Rotoworld or Yahoo player profile to show the latest news, injuries, etc.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 pm

doing the links would take a lot of time, because I think the only way to do that is to create a hyper link for each name to their respective site.

And I definitely misunderstood what you were initially looking for. I get it now and like it much better haha.
Last edited by C2ThaLo88 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:26 pm

C2ThaLo88 wrote:doing the links would take a lot of time, because I think the only way to do that is to create a hyper link for each name to their respective site.

Yes but if I do it once, then I just need to update a little bit each year since the majority of those cards should theoretically remain the same.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:27 pm

OK! Luckily for us one of my co-workers knows what he is doing in Excel. With some help from him we have what we are looking for. It will be tedious setting it all up with the formulas and cell formatting, but I think it will work beautifully. And can easily be used in future drafts. If you want to send me your excel file I could see if I can get the formulas to work. Otherwise I'll start setting one up from scratch.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:07 pm

I think I have an idea that won't take very long at all. I think if you just add a column doing a lookup on the first two tabs that's looking at the Draft Tracker tab, then once you enter the player's name, you can pull in, say, an "X" showing the player as chosen. Once you've got that "X" you can just use a filter to hide all the taken players which leaves only the players available to be drafted. Shouldn't take more than five minutes. Of course this assumes that you don't really want the player deleted, just hidden (which I would think you'd want but maybe I'm mistaken). I'd be happy to set it up for you too if you want to send it to me. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:11 pm

C2ThaLo88 wrote:OK! Luckily for us one of my co-workers knows what he is doing in Excel. With some help from him we have what we are looking for. It will be tedious setting it all up with the formulas and cell formatting, but I think it will work beautifully. And can easily be used in future drafts. If you want to send me your excel file I could see if I can get the formulas to work. Otherwise I'll start setting one up from scratch.

Yeah see if you can do one with like 10 players or something. THanks.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers