Minor league draft help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Minor league draft help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor league draft help

Postby joecahill » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Hey guys,

I've got the current pick, 1.13 (which isn't technically up until 3:00 pm est tomorrow, but I want to get it out of the way) in the minor league draft of a 24-team dynasty league (6x6 h2h w/ OPS, Holds). The picks before me were: Posey, Alvarez, Matusz, T. Beckham, Weeks, Wallace, Smoak, Martinez, G. Beckham, Derek Holland, Hosmer, and Alonso. Thinking of either Aaron Hicks or Michael Stanton. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor league draft help

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:36 pm

joecahill wrote:Hey guys,

I've got the current pick, 1.13 (which isn't technically up until 3:00 pm est tomorrow, but I want to get it out of the way) in the minor league draft of a 24-team dynasty league (6x6 h2h w/ OPS, Holds). The picks before me were: Posey, Alvarez, Matusz, T. Beckham, Weeks, Wallace, Smoak, Martinez, G. Beckham, Derek Holland, Hosmer, and Alonso. Thinking of either Aaron Hicks or Michael Stanton. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Is this a first year minor league draft where everyone is still available...other than those just taken? If not, we'll need to see a list of those best options still available.

Between Hicks and Stanton I think it is very close. Of course they are both very young so anything can happen and likely alot will change but Stanton is looking like a .250/35 type of guy unless he can cut down on those strike outs. Hicks has only had 173 professional innings but already shows good BB/K ratios and should develop into a pretty solid power/speed guy if all goes well. Different players with the ability to help in different categories....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Re: Minor league draft help

Postby joecahill » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:08 pm

No, this is not a first year's draft; last year was our first year in this league, and the players drafted in 2008's MLB draft were pretty much the best players available (with the exception of Fernando Martinez, who was dropped b/c his owner paid too much for him at auction, and Stanton, who no one paid attention to until the pickup deadline was over). I ended up going with Stanton; since power stats are so heavily weighted with HR, RBI, and OPS all being in the equation, I went with the power potential (even though I'm leery of his Dunn-esque strikeout potential).
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball