Jeremy Bonderman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Jeremy Bonderman

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Jeremy Bonderman

Postby WebHamster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:32 am

This thread contains comments on Ryan Dunn's Sleeper "Jeremy Bonderman", which was featured in the Cafe's Sleepers section on February 4, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 569)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeremy Bonderman

Postby TimLee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Sleepers usually don't have consistently terrible second halves like the infamous Jeremy Bonderman does.
I'll skip over his total numbers because that would just reinforce my point to where there should exist no counter argument, so let's look at his more recent numbers beginning from '06. Keep in mind, these are just the outside numbers that usually count in fantasy leagues, as I am skipping over his GB%, FB%, LD%, and other statistics.

'06 First Half Numbers:
119.2 IP, 111 Ks, 3.46 ERA. Fairly respectable numbers for a young SP.
Second Half:
94.1 IPs, 91 Ks, BUT a 4.87 ERA

'07 First Half:
106 IPs, 98 Ks, 3.48 ERA. About the same as his year before except he did add a great 9-1 record.
Second Half:
68.1 IPs, 47 Ks, and here's the kicker: 7.38 ERA.

It's been a consistent trend for Bonde to be absolutely awful in the second half, so here's my answer on if you should take a flier on Mr. Jeremy Bonderman: Unless you want a solid first-half SP and a completely different SP in the second half, go take a chance. Hey, maybe he'll come out of the disturbing trend, but if there needs to be more proof, I can always give a link to his fangraph.
TimLee
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RDD15 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:26 am

Tim brings up some valid questions about Bondo's durability and endurance over the course of a full season. I still believe that Bonderman has value late in the draft where you are likely to find him. If you have concerns over his ability to get it done in the second half, I think that riding some decent first-half numbers and then trading him is a good course of action. Even if you have to cut Bonderman and pick up a waiver wire starter, with the draft pick that you used, that good first half is worth a late pick.

Personally, I think that Bonderman will show a little more endurance this season than in previous ones. Detroit's bullpen appears to have been solidified this offseason, so the starters will not be stretched as much as the past two years. Also, with Bonderman's limited action the past 2 seasons, he should be less fatigued going into the season than he has recently.

I am not advocating taking Bonderman in the 5th round or anything. But I believe that he is a very good candidate to outperform his draft position.

But again, Tim brings up a point and an aspect of this player that I failed to include in my original column. I will still be eying Bondo on draft day, and probably still around the same point as I would have before (after 200 or so players are off the board). But if he does tear it up in the first part of the season, starting about June 1, I will be watching close for signs of him slowing down, and will not hesitate to bench and/or deal him.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 pm

I would note that I've read articles saying that Bonderman could add 2 to 3 MPH on his fastball due to being fully recovered from the type of injury he sustained. I'll look around to see if I can find them. I think this would raise his value.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby WTH » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:27 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:I would note that I've read articles saying that Bonderman could add 2 to 3 MPH on his fastball due to being fully recovered from the type of injury he sustained. I'll look around to see if I can find them. I think this would raise his value.

I'd like to see this.
WTH
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Article Discussions