FBC Community Top 20 OF - #10: C. Quentin, #11: N. Markakis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FBC Community Top 20 OF - #10: C. Quentin, #11: N. Markakis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is the #10 outfielder in a standard 5x5 league?

Carlos Quentin
35%
Carl Crawford
13%
Jason Bay
10%
Nick Markakis
30%
Matt Kemp
3%
Alex Rios
1%
Vladimir Guerrero
5%
Curtis Granderson
1%
Ichiro Suzuki
1%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes : 91

Re: FBC Community Top 20 OF - Vote #10

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
TheRock wrote:I think you've been hitting the Phelps pipe.

Kemp is a legitimate 25/30 candidate, unlike Markakis who is probably more of a 25/10 guy. Kemp has already shown the 30 SB speed when he swiped 35 bags a year ago and belted 18 HR and went stride for stride with Markakis in every other fantasy category. I'm actually disappointed that I went Markakis over him.

Yeah, now I am too. :-b

As I was looking into it, all I could think of was everybody who talks about Markakis helping out everywhere and "he'll even give you 10 steals" -- just change 10 to 35 and you've got Matt Kemp X-I :-S
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 833)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:45 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Kemp is a legitimate 25/30 candidate, unlike Markakis who is probably more of a 25/10 guy. Kemp has already shown the 30 SB speed when he swiped 35 bags a year ago and belted 18 HR and went stride for stride with Markakis in every other fantasy category. I'm actually disappointed that I went Markakis over him.

As I was looking into it, all I could think of was everybody who talks about Markakis helping out everywhere and "he'll even give you 10 steals" -- just change 10 to 35 and you've got Matt Kemp X-I :-S

I think there is more downside in Kemp's bat since he just isn't as good of a hitter. And I'm not a believer in his 35 SB's. I think he's more a 20 SB guy. Markakis should beat him by quite a bit in combined R/RBI's also.

Kemp stands out as one of those guys that gets taken too high every year because he can go 20/20, but has alot of downside as a hitter. See Corey Hart from last offseason.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:55 pm

I prefer Markakis over Kemp due to predictability. Nick has been steadily getting better and we all know his floor as Kab mentioned previously. Kemp might have more upside but I will go with Markakis all the way right now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm

kab21 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I think there is more downside in Kemp's bat since he just isn't as good of a hitter. And I'm not a believer in his 35 SB's. I think he's more a 20 SB guy. Markakis should beat him by quite a bit in combined R/RBI's also.

Kemp stands out as one of those guys that gets taken too high every year because he can go 20/20, but has alot of downside as a hitter. See Corey Hart from last offseason.

Kemp had 57 SB in 960 MiLB AB from '05-'07 (81.4% success rate), which translates to 35 SB over 606 AB, which is exactly what he got in '08 (with a 76.1% success rate).

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Kemp had 57 SB in 960 MiLB AB from '05-'07 (81.4% success rate), which translates to 35 SB over 606 AB, which is exactly what he got in '08 (with a 76.1% success rate).

He's also a big dude. 230lbs+. I don't see him running that much long-term. Maybe he runs again next year, but maybe not.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:46 pm

kab21 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Kemp had 57 SB in 960 MiLB AB from '05-'07 (81.4% success rate), which translates to 35 SB over 606 AB, which is exactly what he got in '08 (with a 76.1% success rate).

He's also a big dude. 230lbs+. I don't see him running that much long-term. Maybe he runs again next year, but maybe not.

You'd think that, but interestingly enough, Torre greenlighted Kemp a good deal especially when he had the leadoff role or when he featured in the two-hole. He's got some terrific speed for a guy of his frame.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:54 pm

He's only 24 and in great shape. Players don't just stop running until a) their success rate plummets or b) they get out of shape and simply lose the speed.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:10 am

bigh0rt wrote:
TheRock wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:It fascinates me that people would take Markakis over Kemp. :-°

Real life: Markakis >>> Kemp
Fantasy: Markakis <<<< Kemp

I think you've been hitting the Phelps pipe.

Kemp is a legitimate 25/30 candidate, unlike Markakis who is probably more of a 25/10 guy. Kemp has already shown the 30 SB speed when he swiped 35 bags a year ago and belted 18 HR and went stride for stride with Markakis in every other fantasy category. I'm actually disappointed that I went Markakis over him.

Yay!

Somebody with some sense around here. ;-D

Kemp should maintain that awesome green light he had last season (no change of manager), with a small uptick in power he could crush Markakis in HR/SB. If Manny doesn't sign with LA, Torre could,in time, slot Kemp into the delicious number 3 slot.
So much upside :-L
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Voted Rios. But I should of voted Quentin. :^
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:He's only 24 and in great shape. Players don't just stop running until a) their success rate plummets or b) they get out of shape and simply lose the speed.

Or until they get hurt. Kemp is very talented but I'm still not completely sold. He's a big guy with some holes in his swing. I think he will be fine but disappoint a lot of people who are expecting a monster season out of him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers