FBC Community Top 20 OF - #10: C. Quentin, #11: N. Markakis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FBC Community Top 20 OF - #10: C. Quentin, #11: N. Markakis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is the #10 outfielder in a standard 5x5 league?

Carlos Quentin
35%
Carl Crawford
13%
Jason Bay
10%
Nick Markakis
30%
Matt Kemp
3%
Alex Rios
1%
Vladimir Guerrero
5%
Curtis Granderson
1%
Ichiro Suzuki
1%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes : 91

Re: FBC Community Top 20 OF - Vote #10

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:56 am

This isn't clear cut to me, as others suggest. Quentin is really interesting here, but I'm just not sure about him (injury issues, "fluke" factor). Jason Bay on the other hand I'd feel very comfortable with. .285+ BA, 30+ HR, 100+ RBI, 100+ Runs, and 10+ SB in 3 of the last 4 years, with 2007 looking like an abberation. In that Boston lineup 100+ Runs/100+ RBI should be a lock provided he stays healthy. I know I'll be in the minority here, but I like Bay a lot this year. I also considered Kemp and Markakis.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:58 am

I like Bay as well, just not over guys like Quentin, Crawford and Markakis.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:15 am

quentin for me, then markakis.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:16 am

pokerplaya wrote:I like Bay as well, just not over guys like Quentin, Crawford and Markakis.

I think you're underrating Bay then. Of course, just my opinion, but...

Bay .286/31 HR/101 RBI/111 Runs/10 SB

Quentin .288/36 HR/100 RBI/96 Runs/7 SB

Markakis .306/20 HR/87 RBI/106 Runs/10 SB

Crawford .273/8 HR/57 RBI/69 Runs/25 SB

Those are '08 numbers. Of course Crawford's have to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt due to only playing 109 games. Still, he hasn't eclipsed 100 runs since 2005 (and he won't do it again 'til he learns how to take a walk), and has never eclipsed 18 HR or 81 RBI. He's a 2 trick pony (AVG, SB). Of course he's an elite basestealer, but that's not enough for me to take him over any of the other 3.

Markakis is a very good ballplayer, I like him a lot, and considered him here. But Bay is a similar player...only statistically better, with a better track record. More power, similar speed, a better supporting cast. Markakis has more upside, but at 30 years old, it's not like Bay is "old".

Quentin is a very interesting player this year. His '08 came out of no where after 2 pretty awful years in Arizona. Coupled with some injury concerns, and I just like the safer pick in Bay. Of course, I acknowledge that Quentin has a better chance of ending up a top 5 OF.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:23 am

I voted for Quentin for the upshot of a 40 HR season. His peripherals were very good to support the kind of success he had and he hit more than half of his homeruns at home, which of course is a great homerun launching pad. The wrist makes me somewhat cautious for where he's taken, but I still like him over the rest of the options.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 am

Quentin basically put up identical numbers to Bay in 25 less games. I can see your arguments for Bay over Markakis/Crawford, but I couldn't in good conscience draft Bay over Quentin.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby horatio » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 am

Quentin: 35 HR, 108 RBI, 100 R, 7 SB, .293 AVG
Markakis: 26 HR 97 RBI, 90 R, 13 SB, .310 AVG

Tough to see Jason Bay getting some love here, I like him also and hope he remains undervalued, due to Quentin's and Upton's question marks I like Bay more than them and certainly more than Markakis.

That being said, I still would take Guerrero before any of them because I think he's still young enough that I believe 08 was just a down year rather than the start of a trend. His knees are obviously a concern but the guy is capable of hitting better than .320. His track record suggests that his end numbers won't be much different than those predicted above, give or take a little in each category of course, he probably won't get you more than 5 SBs if your lucky but Quentin, Markakis, and Upton are gonna have to age gracefully for one more year before I take any of them before Vlad.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:36 am

pokerplaya wrote:Quentin basically put up identical numbers to Bay in 25 less games. I can see your arguments for Bay over Markakis/Crawford, but I couldn't in good conscience draft Bay over Quentin.

Fair enough. Like I said, I think Quentin has a better shot of being a top 3-5 OF than Bay does, but wrist injuries always make me think twice. I admit that I don't know exactly what his current status is, but any lingering effects can sap power. Wrist injuries are always concerning to me. Combine that with the fact that he's only had 1 good season, and I'm just a little leary of him. I feel like I know exactly what I'm getting with Bay -- pencil him in for ~.290/32/110/110/10. He could be one of the safest picks in the draft.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:40 am

Scooter1027 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Quentin basically put up identical numbers to Bay in 25 less games. I can see your arguments for Bay over Markakis/Crawford, but I couldn't in good conscience draft Bay over Quentin.

Fair enough. Like I said, I think Quentin has a better shot of being a top 3-5 OF than Bay does, but wrist injuries always make me think twice. I admit that I don't know exactly what his current status is, but any lingering effects can sap power. Wrist injuries are always concerning to me. Combine that with the fact that he's only had 1 good season, and I'm just a little leary of him. I feel like I know exactly what I'm getting with Bay -- pencil him in for ~.290/32/110/110/10. He could be one of the safest picks in the draft.

I definitely hear you. His wrist is a potential issue, but his upside is worth it as the 10th OF off the board.

I've always been huge on Bay - preseason 07 I was one of the supporters here who touted Bay over Holliday. We were all dead wrong, and Bay had a putrid year .247 21 84...I guess I still have that in the back of my mind as well.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:49 am

Yeah, I got burned by his '07 season too. But he bounced right back and his '08 was right back in line with this '04-'06 seasons. Now add in a full season in Boston's lineup at Fenway instead of in Pittsburgh's lineup at PNC (which favors lefties, if I'm not mistaken).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers