Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Jeter doesn't watch baseball

Postby noseeum » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Matthias wrote:
noseeum wrote:
Matthias wrote:Maybe you don't care. I think it's a little shocking... the sport that has given him his whole life, he isn't interested in unless it's to watch himself? And people call A-Rod narcissistic?

I sent this to my baseball league and got this reply from a friend who's a life-long Yankees fan:

He doesn't even watch himself. It doesn't say he plays at Yankee stadium, then goes and watches the replay of the game at home. It just says he doesn't have the MLB package. I think you'd reading a bit much into it.

Not really. A direct quote from Borzello from the article:
So it was just funny because Derek will never watch a baseball game other than the one he plays in.

Or maybe.... I guess he could just be saying that Jeter doesn't watch any baseball on television, period. But I still think that's odd..... "love of the game" and all that. And if the roles had been reversed and Alex didn't ever watch baseball on TV, this thread would've been piled on with people saying, "A-Fraud doesn't care about the game" or, "A-Fraud is just in it for himself", etc., etc.

Yes, but that quote is Borzello's take on the only fact in the story, that Jeter doesn't have the MLB package. It's just his wording is odd, and even if he was saying Jeter only watches himself on TV, you'd just have to say to yourself, "how does Borzello draw that conclusion from 'Jeter doesn't have the MLB package'?"

In the book itself, this tidbit is used more to describe the difference between Arod and Jeter. Arod is obsessive about baseball. It's all he does. He's the hardest worker, the most disciplined with his workouts, and when he's home, what else would he do but watch the West Coast games? He's so obsessed with baseball, that he assumes all other good players are the same. So it's shocking to Arod that Jeter doesn't have MLB package. Verducci didn't write it to say, "Holy crap, can you believe Jeter doesn't have MLB package?" He wrote it to say Arod has baseball as a single minded obsession, whereas Jeter just plays.

You can still feel that way of course. I for one think it's a little strange. If I made $20 million, I'd have the European Soccer package, the Australian Rules rugby package, and the Dog Racing package in addition to the MLB package, but that's just me.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:26 pm

He's too busy spreading herpes to various Hollywood starlets to watch baseball. :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Maybe just maybe since he plays 162 games a year, practices for weeks on end at spring training, has many, many public appearences, and travels all over for meetings and such that he doesn't have the free time to sit around and watch it.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I guess, but I still say if you take out, "Derek Jeter" and put in one of: Alex Rodriguez, Adam Dunn, JD Drew, to name a few, people would have a different take on the story. I just thought it was noteworthy because of the way that Jeter is so hallowed as being a, "baseball guy". But if you guys don't care, then whatevers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to New York Yankees