Here's why Joba should start - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Here's why Joba should start

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Here's why Joba should start

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:19 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
hybrid wrote:Honestly those videos weren't the best cases besides maybe the last, he just K'd crappy hitters in the rest. Not that impressive really.

So does every ho-hum non-impressive pitcher do what he did in those videos? Or strike out 74 in 65 innings with a 2.76 ERA?

Joba needs to start.

agreed completely. Joba is just too talented of a starter to make him a bullpen arm.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:40 pm

It's really quite simple. You are a starter until you prove you can't, which then you become a bullpen guy. Relievers are failed starters....Joba has yet to fail as a starter. This arguement is so silly I question those who even bring it up.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby northjersey78 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:13 am

I'm a Yankee fan and I still contend that Joba should be a reliever.

Rivera is not going to last forever and you've seen how devastating it can be to have a great closer. IN the early 90's Rivers was an outstanding set-up man to John Wetteland we saw how that turned out.

The Yankees already have a loaded staff - they have essentially committed long-term to CC Sabbathia, AJ Burnett and Wang. Pettitte will probably be fine for another 2-3 seasons. Phil Hughes was the gem of their farm system and it seems like they are content to let him sit in AAA until the off-chance he'll be needed. Why not give him a full season's shot at the # 5 spot and use Joba to help shorten games for these guys?

Joba comign in from the bullpen was always electric. I'm not saying he can't/ won't be a great starter I just feel they will get better usage out of him as a set-up man and eventually closer once Rivera retires.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:03 pm

northjersey78 wrote:I'm a Yankee fan and I still contend that Joba should be a reliever.

Rivera is not going to last forever and you've seen how devastating it can be to have a great closer. IN the early 90's Rivers was an outstanding set-up man to John Wetteland we saw how that turned out.

The Yankees already have a loaded staff - they have essentially committed long-term to CC Sabbathia, AJ Burnett and Wang. Pettitte will probably be fine for another 2-3 seasons. Phil Hughes was the gem of their farm system and it seems like they are content to let him sit in AAA until the off-chance he'll be needed. Why not give him a full season's shot at the # 5 spot and use Joba to help shorten games for these guys?

Joba comign in from the bullpen was always electric. I'm not saying he can't/ won't be a great starter I just feel they will get better usage out of him as a set-up man and eventually closer once Rivera retires.

Effective starter >>>>>> Effective reliever. And that's the bottom line. You want your best pitchers throwing 200 innings a year, not 80. If Joba can be an effective starter, there is no doubt that that is where he is most valuable to the team.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Previous

Return to New York Yankees