Have some questions before switching from Yahoo to CBS... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Have some questions before switching from Yahoo to CBS...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Have some questions before switching from Yahoo to CBS...

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:15 pm

No, I'm saying with keepers.

We do it that way. Each team has 6 keepers each year. The only "manual" part is going into the draft setup and manually input each of the players in the round they are being kept (which is what you are doing by putting "no pick"). Rather than choosing "no pick", pick the player they are keeping in that round. Easy beans.

We did a live draft last year, so I can't say anything about their applet. 2006 was a disaster (though I had no problems - everyone else seemed to). 2007 was flawless. It looks like they have new software, so I'll probably join a free league to make sure I understand the draft room. And as commissioner, I can always pause it if anyone has an issue.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:No, I'm saying with keepers.

We do it that way. Each team has 6 keepers each year. The only "manual" part is going into the draft setup and manually input each of the players in the round they are being kept (which is what you are doing by putting "no pick"). Rather than choosing "no pick", pick the player they are keeping in that round. Easy beans.

Hmmmm - OK, then I guess I'm doing something wrong (or not doing something, as the case may be). Now that I know I can do this, I'll figure out what I'm missing - thanks.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby brotherbird » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:01 pm

This is my 1st year on CBS. Tell your loyal subjects if they have any problems with the live drafting window and desperately want to get in, close it and disable your firewall, then enter back in the draft and enable your firewall. If it messes up you may have to do it again. I had some issues with loading flash that I couldn't figure out until right after my very last pick. :-P
brotherbird
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Just FYI, I think everything you need CAN be done with ESPN.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:You can't do yearly move limits on Sportsline - you can only do weekly limits. Of course, if you use FAAB dollars (which sportsline has) then that will help limit add/drops as well.

We've gotten around this problem in CBS. I've set every waiver/FA pick-up to register as a $1 transaction. We don't actually collect this money, but if you go to League Home/Finances, it is a handy way to track it. In three years of doing it this way, we've only run into once where someone unwittingly went over their transaction limit and so we had to retroactive undo them.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Matthias wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:You can't do yearly move limits on Sportsline - you can only do weekly limits. Of course, if you use FAAB dollars (which sportsline has) then that will help limit add/drops as well.

We've gotten around this problem in CBS. I've set every waiver/FA pick-up to register as a $1 transaction. We don't actually collect this money, but if you go to League Home/Finances, it is a handy way to track it. In three years of doing it this way, we've only run into once where someone unwittingly went over their transaction limit and so we had to retroactive undo them.

Wow, I feel like a retard right now. We've been tracking this on the league note for the last 3 years. This is so easy I can't believe I never thought of it.

Thanks.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Seanyfever » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:39 pm

We are in the same situation... Moving our 24 team keeper from Yahoo Plus to CBS.

I will be following this thread.

I am interested if one can score each week as a single win, loss, or tie. We are not high on the 10-1-1 weeks.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 am

I just want to add that the Draft room is totally new this year, for better or worse, and it is Flash and not Java based.

We would have problems with the java frames hanging/not refreshing.
Last year, however, we had no problems for the first time.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Sorry to hear you're considering moving from Yahoo. I'm not going to abuse the goodwill of the Cafe with a sell job, but I will at least try to clarify anything I can about the functionality in our (Yahoo's) game...

2) The post-draft behavior of unchosen players is a league setting on Yahoo. It sounds like you are used to them becoming free agents as soon as the draft ends, but I think more typically this is set to put them on waivers.

4) Our new keeper league/custom draft order tool supports what you are proposing here. The commissioner, prior to the draft, can set up any arbitrary draft order (as long as all teams have the correct number of picks), and can pre-assign any player to any pick. If you do so, these players show as drafted in the draft room, are designated different in the in-draft chat, and are marked as keepers after the draft if the commissioner desires.

re: draft times
I can't promise you could always get whichever time slot you want, but I can tell you that in football for 2008 we were able to offer just about twice the available drafts in high demand time slots as we did in 2007. It should become increasingly unlikely that you can't draft when you want.

Hope this helps. Good luck wherever you land, and let me know if you have any other questions.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner