Have some questions before switching from Yahoo to CBS... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Have some questions before switching from Yahoo to CBS...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Have some questions before switching from Yahoo to CBS...

Postby BeanTown » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 pm

Hello all,

Been running a league on Yahoo for 5 years and we're considering making the change to CBS. Before doing so I was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.

Keep in mind that our league is 14 team 6x6 weekly H2H with the additional categories being OPS and K/BB. The PRIMARY reason for looking to switch is that we're converting to a keeper league and we would like to have a deeper player pool. In a conversation with someone on this board recently it was brought to my attention that ESPN could do everything we're looking for and its free. If you share the same sentiment please chime in.

1) Can I keep our scoring structure the same. Right now we have 7 H2H matchups every week (14 teams). The league is 6x6 and at the end of the week if I only won SB's and ERA then I would take a loss of 2-9 and that would be recorded as my record after week 1. If I win 9 categories the following week then my overall record after 2 weeks would be 11-11. I know this is very basic for Yahoo but I need to be sure I can do the same thing in CBS.

2) How do add/drops and waivers work on CBS? Currently on Yahoo every player after the draft is made a free agent and then its first come first serve. If a player is dropped or added to the game he is on waivers for a couple of days and during that waiver period managers can make their claim and when the player clears waivers whoever had the highest claim gets him. As far as I know there isn't much flexibilty on this in Yahoo. What are the various ways you can do add/drops and waivers in CBS? Can I keep a similar setup if I want?

3) How is the draft room setup compared to Yahoo? Right now we do a live draft with everyone getting together at my place with the exception of a couple of out of state guys. What happens is I enter everyone's pick in the draft screen as the picks are made and the out of town guys can simply replace their draft results screen on Yahoo and see who's off the board. Can I do the same with CBS? How's it work? It's important that the out of town guys can see the picks as they're being made.

4) Our keeper system is going to use a sliding penalty for picks. If you want to keep a guy you drafted in the 12th round then in his first keeper year you need to give up a 10th round pick. Can CBS be setup so that I can enter the keepers from each team and tell CBS what round picks from that team they should ignore. So if a team is keeping three players and he is forfeiting his 4th, 8th, and 10th picks to keep those can I set it up so those players are already inserted as the picks in each round? It would be great if there could be a little note or flag indicating its a keeper pick from the previous year.

5) In weekly leagues when is the deadline to set your rosters. In Yahoo we set the rosters by 3AM Monday morning and we're good to go for the week. How does it work on CBS?

That's all I have for now and any assistance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. We have a good league and the last thing I want to do is screw it up by moving someplace that doesn't do some of the basic stuff we're used to. Thanks.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Have some questions before switching from Yahoo to CBS...

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:35 pm

BeanTown wrote:Hello all,

Been running a league on Yahoo for 5 years and we're considering making the change to CBS. Before doing so I was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.

Keep in mind that our league is 14 team 6x6 weekly H2H with the additional categories being OPS and K/BB. The PRIMARY reason for looking to switch is that we're converting to a keeper league and we would like to have a deeper player pool. In a conversation with someone on this board recently it was brought to my attention that ESPN could do everything we're looking for and its free. If you share the same sentiment please chime in.

1) Can I keep our scoring structure the same. Right now we have 7 H2H matchups every week (14 teams). The league is 6x6 and at the end of the week if I only won SB's and ERA then I would take a loss of 2-9 and that would be recorded as my record after week 1. If I win 9 categories the following week then my overall record after 2 weeks would be 11-11. I know this is very basic for Yahoo but I need to be sure I can do the same thing in CBS.

Not sure - but I'm pretty sure you can do this.

2) How do add/drops and waivers work on CBS? Currently on Yahoo every player after the draft is made a free agent and then its first come first serve. If a player is dropped or added to the game he is on waivers for a couple of days and during that waiver period managers can make their claim and when the player clears waivers whoever had the highest claim gets him. As far as I know there isn't much flexibilty on this in Yahoo. What are the various ways you can do add/drops and waivers in CBS? Can I keep a similar setup if I want?

You can set it up exactly like Yahoo, or you have some other options. You can make all players always be on waivers (have to make a claim to get him - no free agents), you can use FAAB to bid dollars on players, and there are a few other options.

3) How is the draft room setup compared to Yahoo? Right now we do a live draft with everyone getting together at my place with the exception of a couple of out of state guys. What happens is I enter everyone's pick in the draft screen as the picks are made and the out of town guys can simply replace their draft results screen on Yahoo and see who's off the board. Can I do the same with CBS? How's it work? It's important that the out of town guys can see the picks as they're being made.

The setup is similar - you can make their picks for them or they can do their own picks. The commissioner can pause the draft and back out picks where needed. HOWEVER, I've actually had some bad luck with the CBS draft room where it would hang at random points for various people and all of a sudden you'd miss a few picks. VERY frustrating.

4) Our keeper system is going to use a sliding penalty for picks. If you want to keep a guy you drafted in the 12th round then in his first keeper year you need to give up a 10th round pick. Can CBS be setup so that I can enter the keepers from each team and tell CBS what round picks from that team they should ignore. So if a team is keeping three players and he is forfeiting his 4th, 8th, and 10th picks to keep those can I set it up so those players are already inserted as the picks in each round? It would be great if there could be a little note or flag indicating its a keeper pick from the previous year.

We use a similar setup - you can specify what round a player is being kept in... during the draft, those draft spots will show up as "No Pick", though unfortunately you can't tell which player was kept in each spot.

5) In weekly leagues when is the deadline to set your rosters. In Yahoo we set the rosters by 3AM Monday morning and we're good to go for the week. How does it work on CBS?

Not sure, but I have a vague recollection that it is 30 minutes before the first game of the week.

That's all I have for now and any assistance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. We have a good league and the last thing I want to do is screw it up by moving someplace that doesn't do some of the basic stuff we're used to. Thanks.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:58 pm

If it's 6x6, then why would you go 2-9 or 9-2?

Sportsline draft room is buggier than Yahoos, certainly. However, the Commissioner can also pause the draft, make picks for other teams, and you can set it for any time you want - you don't have to hope for available times like you do with Yahoo.

Yes, you can tell what players are kept in what spot. Instead of selecting "no pick", if they are keeping Nate Mclouth, you have them select "Nate McLouth". My league has been doing it this way for four years. And yes, you can determine when they are picked. You can also add fields on their player page and your team's roster if you want to show salary, contract length, years remaining they can be kept, etc.

I've been with Sportsline for four years, and the only things that I haven't been able to do that I wanted were season-long transaction limits (doesn't apply to you since you're a H2H league) and the ability to change rosters closer to the games (again, Sportsline is biased toward H2H leagues - and since you don't want daily roster changes, you'll be fine)
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BeanTown » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Curtis Pride... LOL... nice catch on the 9-2, the best part of that is that I'm in Accounting.

We actually do use limits on add/drops. We usually use a limit of 60 for the year. Would we still be able to do this?

Since its a weekly league the roster deadline doesn't matter on a daily basis. We just need the cutoff to be Sunday night.

Guys, I don't mean to stray off topic and maybe I should open another topic on this (I might depending on how many views this one gets) but since my needs are fairly basic and I'm just looking for a deeper player pool and keeper support would I be better off using free ESPN? I hate the interface on CBS and I don't want to over complicate things.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I don't know anything about ESPN. Can't comment.

You can't do yearly move limits on Sportsline - you can only do weekly limits. Of course, if you use FAAB dollars (which sportsline has) then that will help limit add/drops as well.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BeanTown » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:40 pm

What about tiebreakers on CBS? Can they be customized as well? I know that on Yahoo the default tiebreaker in the regular season is the best previous week record. This is a horrendous tiebreaker to say the least. We actually implemented our own that would use the teams H2H record as the first tie breaker but the problem is we couldn't change it on Yahoo so the standings wouldn't reflect what we actually recorded. Is it an option to customize on CBS?

Also, I'd love to hear from other people on the questions I asked. In particular I'd like some more detail on #1 and #3.

Thanks.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:56 pm

you can buy the cbs commish service and if you decide to go elsewhere they refund you the $. I think they told me I could ask for a refund 2 weeks into the season. I really like the draft room, haven't had many issues at all there for 5 years, & we do slow drafts with the draft room open for 3 weeks straight. You won't have any problems there. don't do h2h so not going to try to answer most of your specific questions. I believe you can open a commish league w/o sending $, but once you try to customize it, the send you to the sign up page, but its probably worth a free look anyway
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby BeanTown » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm

fast dogs wrote:you can buy the cbs commish service and if you decide to go elsewhere they refund you the $. I think they told me I could ask for a refund 2 weeks into the season. I really like the draft room, haven't had many issues at all there for 5 years, & we do slow drafts with the draft room open for 3 weeks straight. You won't have any problems there. don't do h2h so not going to try to answer most of your specific questions. I believe you can open a commish league w/o sending $, but once you try to customize it, the send you to the sign up page, but its probably worth a free look anyway

Thank you, this is very helpful. I didn't know that there was a "return" policy. I didn't want to eat the $ if everyone decided that they hated the setup. This way I'll get everything going and get everyone registered and they can screw around with it for a few weeks and I can see how the customization works.

In the meantime if anyone has any additional feedback I'd love to hear it.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm

it says 14 days, guess I'm not sure if thats 14 days from when you purchased it or 14 days into the season, thought thats what the guys said. I purchased 3 leagues but only needed 2, so they are refunding the 3rd 1 anyway. Alot of yahoo users don't like cbs, I think its more of anything new is worse, but it is a common theme among yahoo leagues switching
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:02 pm

fast dogs wrote:I really like the draft room, haven't had many issues at all there for 5 years, & we do slow drafts with the draft room open for 3 weeks straight. You won't have any problems there.

I think the fact that you do slow drafts is why you haven't had problems. With timed picks (90-120 seconds) I've had nothing but problems the last two years.

Curtis Pride wrote:Yes, you can tell what players are kept in what spot. Instead of selecting "no pick", if they are keeping Nate Mclouth, you have them select "Nate McLouth". My league has been doing it this way for four years. And yes, you can determine when they are picked.

Are you saying that this is the case even if those players are declared as keepers by each owner? It sounds like you are just handling it manually, with no players being declared keepers and then just having each owner pick his player in the right spot during the draft. Am I correct?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner