9th Pick in 20 Team Dynasty? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

9th Pick in 20 Team Dynasty?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

9th Pick in 20 Team Dynasty?

Postby moebean » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:53 pm

I have the 9th pick in a 20-team, H2H, 6x6 dynasty league. The first seven picks will probably be the standard first seven:

A-Rod
Pujols
Soriano
Vlad
Beltran
Helton
Prior

If one of these guys drops, I'll be ecstatic, but most likely, I'll have to pick someone else:

Ordonez
Nomar
Ramirez
Pedro
Sheffield
etc.

I'm leaning towards Mags, the youngest of the three OF, and Nomar is my second choice.

Who would you take? And could Vernon Wells be an option there too? Thanks.
moebean
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:10 pm

Being a very deep league, I'd look for a pitcher at the #9 spot then a hitter in the second round. Pitching will get really shallow, really fast in such a deep league. I'd probably be looking to jump all over Schilling in the first round, then a Thome or Giambi-type hitter next. When it comes down to it, solid pitchers are a significantly rarer than solid hitters.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moebean » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:34 pm

The Jury wrote:Being a very deep league, I'd look for a pitcher at the #9 spot then a hitter in the second round. Pitching will get really shallow, really fast in such a deep league. I'd probably be looking to jump all over Schilling in the first round, then a Thome or Giambi-type hitter next. When it comes down to it, solid pitchers are a significantly rarer than solid hitters.

I've always thought that cheap pitching is easier to get than cheap hitting, especially in such a huge league. You can more easily get a decent SP off waivers than a 25 HR guy. That's why I wanted to get a hitter in the first round.
moebean
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Clevelander » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:18 pm

im with the jury on this one, the best player is not nomar or ordonez...you take a pedro or schilling here...you may get ordonez on go around...may....but otherwise there is alot of young and underrated talent i the pool for hitters, this deep of a league dont get stuck on reading last years stats and go with the gut...a foundation of a stud pitcher getting you k's followed by a tejada/wells may be there also, then 3rd round grab yourself lopez if there or the best reliever...
think about it....schilling/tejada/wagner or lopez...not a bad 3
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Postby eli81k » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:46 pm

Wow. A 20 team dynasty league? Who is the brass-balled fellow that put that together? I'd draft for the present, and ignore the future, 'cause keeping a 20 team dynasty league together would be more than impressive.

Go with Sheff.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:45 pm

I have never been able to see how people think pitching can wait until later while hitting must be got early on.. :-?

I've been going with mostly hitters early on the past 2 years and I'm ended up with crap on the mound :-P

There are probably about 20 real nice hitters as opposed to somewhere from 5-10 real nice pitchers.. plus you can pick up a Jay Gibbons or a Juanzo or a Kearns or a Nevin to counter other dude's Maggs or whoever... hell your late round slugger might even outperform the guy's Maggs or whoever.. but when you let that Schilling or Pedro, etc. slip by you... BAM - you've got a pitching staff led by Kevin Millwood with Jarrod Washburn as your next go-to guy :-P
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Clevelander » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:20 pm

again the jury is correct...

how many times do people say take the best player there...that would be pedro or schilling...name 3 other pitchers who will give you better numbers than these 2 in the past few years...
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers