FBC Community Top 20 OF - #3: Josh Hamilton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FBC Community Top 20 OF - #3: Josh Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is the #3 outfielder in a standard 5x5 league?

Josh Hamilton
40%
Matt Holliday
28%
Carlos Beltran
18%
Alfonso Soriano
3%
Manny Ramirez
6%
Carlos Lee
2%
Carlos Quentin
1%
B.J. Upton
1%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes : 94

Re: FBC Community Top 20 Rankings - OF Edition - Vote #3

Postby Dan Charette » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I picked Holliday . Sure he's now going to a much worse hitter's park, but he'll also be facing much worse pitching. If you compare the pitchers from the NL west to the AL west . you'll see quite a difference in the amount of quality starters. That's got to count for something.
And since he has real good power , I don't think his homeruns will drop below 25. Oakland's outfield is called spacious , so it shouldn't affect batting average .
He's too good of a hitter to drop too much.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:59 pm

I waffled between Hamilton, Holliday and Beltran. Ultimately, the hometown bias probably swayed me, and I went with Beltran.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby hybrid » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

650AB - 97R - 22HR - 88RBI - .280/.348/.455

That's away from Coors, I'd be wary of top 3 OF production.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:39 pm

I went with Hamilton since he should be right around his peak and just getting warmed up in his 3rd MLB season.

Holliday's numbers in OAK will be depressed. He is an outstanding hitter so I don't expect a huge drop but still should see some regression.

Beltran and Soriano are slightly higher injury risks. Also, they are at the age when players stop running as much.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:03 pm

I went with Holliday, despite the change of scenery. I am a very conservative drafter and tend to go with the known quantities. Hamilton is an unknown quantity still, in my eyes.

But generally looking over the outfielders at this point in baseball - its a pretty weak group. There is not a single outfielder in this group that you can say is going to put up 110/40/120/10/.300, and its been a long time since one could say that. The power has definitely shifted to the infield positions. In fact, I don't know that I would take any outfielder in the first round.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 pm

Nerfherders wrote:I went with Holliday, despite the change of scenery. I am a very conservative drafter and tend to go with the known quantities. Hamilton is an unknown quantity still, in my eyes.

you dont think leaving colorado is going to change his "known" stats? if you are conservative, i think holliday is the riskiest of the picks

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Nerfherders wrote:I went with Holliday, despite the change of scenery. I am a very conservative drafter and tend to go with the known quantities. Hamilton is an unknown quantity still, in my eyes.

But generally looking over the outfielders at this point in baseball - its a pretty weak group. There is not a single outfielder in this group that you can say is going to put up 110/40/120/10/.300, and its been a long time since one could say that. The power has definitely shifted to the infield positions. In fact, I don't know that I would take any outfielder in the first round.

Braun and Quentin could both put those numbers up, or at least get close.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:

Braun and Quentin could both put those numbers up, or at least get close.

Hamilton could too if he's close to fully healthy or at full health the whole season.

I don't think Holliday is a massive risk as some make him out to be, but his upside more or less is tempered either way. I can see Holliday topping out at a 30 HR, 15 SB, .310 BA but I don't envision anything beyond that.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:44 pm

Hamilton.
Holliday is right after him though.
I would just like it if Holliday could prove that he can play outside the NL West and Colorado.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:18 am

I went Hamilton here, and while I certainly don't disagee with some of the trepidation, I still think he is a less risky pick (by a hair) than Holliday is in his new home ;-)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers