Best players added to Yahoo! this year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best players added to Yahoo! this year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best players added to Yahoo! this year

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:33 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Cueto-esque

LOL!

:-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yankee_cafe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Genie, with the new "Wait until called up to Majors" option, would these players be placed on waivers in the same manner as under the "As soon as Yahoo! adds them" option?

What about an offline draft? Would a minor league player "disappear" off a roster if the new option is selected?

Thanks
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:58 pm

yankee_cafe wrote:Genie, with the new "Wait until called up to Majors" option, would these players be placed on waivers in the same manner as under the "As soon as Yahoo! adds them" option?

What about an offline draft? Would a minor league player "disappear" off a roster if the new option is selected?

Thanks

The option has no impact on Waivers. New players will show up on waivers or as free agents, depending on your league settings.

As for your second question, if your league is set to only show players once they hit a roster, then minor league players who haven't hit a roster shouldn't be available for selection in the offline draft tool in the first place. Now it *did* hit me on the drive home Friday that there could be a bug; it is possible you could set your league to "As soon as Yahoo! adds them", put forced players into an offline draft, then change the league to "Wait until called up to Majors", and I have a nasty feeling I don't catch that. The good news is that the commish can just not do this heh... but I'll look into it, and file a bug if necessary.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the case Ben Sheets, he'll likeky start the year in as NA because he won't have a team interested until June or they'd have to give up a draft pick to sign him. But he'll have to be signed to be the DL correct?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:37 am

Havok1517 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but in the case Ben Sheets, he'll likeky start the year in as NA because he won't have a team interested until June or they'd have to give up a draft pick to sign him. But he'll have to be signed to be the DL correct?

This is the current list of forced players:

Shawn Estes (LAD - SP)
Manny Ramírez (LAD - OF)
Orlando Cabrera (CWS - SS)
Ben Sheets (Mil - SP)
Matt Wieters (Bal - C)
Matt LaPorta (Cle - 1B,OF)
Juan Cruz (Ari - RP)
Andrew McCutchen (Pit - OF)
Jordan Schafer (Atl - OF)
Colby Rasmus (StL - OF)
Tommy Hanson (Atl - SP)
Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)
Elvis Andrus (Tex - SS)
David Freese (StL - 3B)
Jose Ceda (Fla - RP)
Jason Donald (Phi - 2B,SS)
Neftali Feliz (Tex - SP)
Derek Holland (Tex - SP)
Lars Anderson (Bos - 1B)
Fernando Martinez (NYM - OF)
Brett Anderson (Oak - SP)
Trevor Cahill (Oak - SP)
Chris Tillman (Bal - SP)
Austin Jackson (NYY - OF)
Kyle Blanks (SD - 1B)
Jarrod Parker (Ari - SP,RP)
Jeremy Hellickson (TB - SP,RP)
Brett Wallace (StL - 3B)
Dave Huff (Cle - SP)
Curt Schilling (Bos - SP)
Omar Vizquel (Tex - SS)
Frank Thomas (Oak - Util)
Luis González (Fla - OF)
Iván Rodríguez (NYY - C)
Pedro Martínez (NYM - SP)
Garret Anderson (LAA - OF)
Mark Grudzielanek (KC - 2B)
Paul Byrd (Bos - SP)
Nomar Garciaparra (LAD - 1B,3B,SS)
Trot Nixon (Mil - OF)
Emil Brown (SD - OF)
Jay Payton (Bal - OF)
Richie Sexson (NYY - 1B)
Kevin Millar (Tor - 1B)
Freddy García (NYM - SP)
Jacque Jones (Cin - OF)
Derrick Turnbow (Tex - RP)
Scott Podsednik (Col - OF)
Kei Igawa (NYY - SP)
Josh Banks (SD - SP)

And indeed, Sheets is on there, as he isn't on a major league roster at this time.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 am

And indeed, Sheets is on there, as he isn't on a major league roster at this time.

Right, but he won't be put on the DL until he's signed, right? Because right now he's listed as a MIL-SP but he's currently a FA and not signed. So, how if ever does he go on the DL in yahoo?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:53 am

Havok1517 wrote:

Right, but he won't be put on the DL until he's signed, right? Because right now he's listed as a MIL-SP but he's currently a FA and not signed. So, how if ever does he go on the DL in yahoo?

My belief/understanding matches yours: he can't go on the DL if there is no team to put him on the DL. Even in leagues set to show players as soon as we add them, I'd expect him to float around in NA land until somebody signs him and puts him on the DL.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

My belief/understanding matches yours: he can't go on the DL if there is no team to put him on the DL. Even in leagues set to show players as soon as we add them, I'd expect him to float around in NA land until somebody signs him and puts him on the DL.

Ok, thats what i thought. What are the chsances of adding something like a maximum of 3 NA spots (like the DL) as a roster option. Because like the DL, that player listed as Not Active cannnot play and only uses up a roster spot. Just curious.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Ok, thats what i thought. What are the chsances of adding something like a maximum of 3 NA spots (like the DL) as a roster option. Because like the DL, that player listed as Not Active cannnot play and only uses up a roster spot. Just curious.

We've discussed that sort of thing before. It comes up a lot in the context of basketball, which no longer has a DL. I wouldn't say it won't ever happen, but I think the way the discussion usually goes it that doing that work would be reasonably time consuming, and would add marginal value over a league just adding more roster slots. So while it might happen, I don't think it is high on "the list" right now.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:My belief/understanding matches yours: he can't go on the DL if there is no team to put him on the DL. Even in leagues set to show players as soon as we add them, I'd expect him to float around in NA land until somebody signs him and puts him on the DL.

We've discussed that sort of thing before. It comes up a lot in the context of basketball, which no longer has a DL. I wouldn't say it won't ever happen, but I think the way the discussion usually goes it that doing that work would be reasonably time consuming, and would add marginal value over a league just adding more roster slots. So while it might happen, I don't think it is high on "the list" right now.

Thanks Genie.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers