Luis Exposito - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Luis Exposito

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Luis Exposito

Postby majorleaguebrian88 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Now I know he's not talked about a lot. but i took over a dynasty team with a 40man minors roster and saw him on it. anyone heard anything about him or know of him at least?

SoxProspects.com: Catcher out of Florida with a strong, broad frame. At the plate, Exposito makes decent contact. Doesn't strike out too much, but can struggle with breaking pitches on occasion. Excellent present power with the ability to add even more pop, ultimately has 25 home run potential. Plate discipline is not great, but he is showing regular improvement in that area. Minimal speed on the basepaths, about average for a catcher. Behind the plate, Exposito has tremendous catcher's tools, including very good blocking skills, a strong arm, great instincts, and outstanding game calling ability. However, he could use some improvement with his glovework and his throwing accuracy. Gunned down 28.5% of attempted base stealers in 2008, which is below average. Very personable - a popular teammate, as he speaks English and Spanish very well. He was suspended for much of the 2007 season for disciplinary reasons, but by all accounts he has turned that around and has been a model citizen and teammate ever since. Exposito was selected as a draft-and-follow in the 2005 draft, and really improved his stock by being named All-Conference, All-State, and All-Region for St. Petersburg in 2006. The Sox signed him to a decent bonus following his JuCo season and just prior to the 2006 draft. According to Peter Gammons, at least one scouting director indicated after the 2006 draft that Exposito would have been one of the top few catchers selected in that draft had the Red Sox not signed him a month prior.

he sounds like he'll be alright to me..anyone else? ;-D
majorleaguebrian88
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Luis Exposito

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 am

Did nothing until last year where he looked solid. Like you said he needs to improve his BB/K ratio and backup the power numbers he put up again this year in what looks like AA....might start out in A+ but should be in AA most of the year.

I think this year will be the year that he proves himself or falls off the radar completely. He was a 31st round pick in '05 so he wasn't a high pedigree type of guy so it's all about how he develops and improves from here on out.

But I don't really know much about him so someone else may chime in with more....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby thedude » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:40 am

He is great defender. Last year he exploded with the bat. He might be one of those guys who comes out of no where to be a solid regular, he might be a backup who has a ten year career based off his defense, or he might never make the majors. It is just too early to tell.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm

catchers are the crapshoot of prospects IMO...(unless it's matt wieters)...their defensive skills are much more important at this level than for the other positions, so hitting seems to take a backseat for this level of prospect...and the ones that can hit are often moved to another position..the red sox obviously have a need for C but esposito is too far away to help them in 09-10 or probably even 2011 by which time the sox will probably trade for or sign a longterm solution..i agree w/j35j that this year should be a reckoning for him..we'll see whether his future is mlb backup or possible starter somewhere..i lean to the former
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Minor League & College Baseball