Thoughts about changing draft order... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Thoughts about changing draft order...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts about changing draft order...

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:12 pm

Chalk one of my keeper leagues as one of these...top 4 get paid so they pick 9th-12th in reverse order. 5th gets 1st pick, 6th place gets 2nd pick, etc, etc, to the last place team picks 8th, so there is incentive to finish the season.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Our 14 team keeper league really doesn't have a problem with teams not trying at the end.The last place team gets the first pick next year, then we take it another step. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds, are drafted in the same order, the last place teams picking first & the winner picking last in each of the first 4 rounds. It does make it harder for the top teams to repeat, getting picks 14 & 28 instead of 14 & 15 makes it a little bit tougher for the best to reload right away. Couple that with being able to trade draft picks for keepers has really helped the worst teams being able to be competitive 1 year after having a forgetable season. The worst team can trade that first pick in the second round for a better keeper and often the 3rd round as well.This also aids in finding replacement owners to come in and take over 1 of the bottom teams.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 261)

Postby converge241 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 pm

The 2 keepers and dynasties I am in do the following:

Two of them have a lottery of the bottom 4 teams (one weighted, one will all equal chances) to draft 1st 4 spots

The other has 12 teams and 9th place picks 1st 10th picks 2nd 11th picks 3rd 12th picks 4th, then reverse order of standings 8th place to 1st

if you are really worried about tanking can always invoke penalty fees..some dont like them and sometimes people quit instead of paying them but think about it..you've removed dead weight from the league OR made them pay for their failure..win win
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby gocardinals413 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:09 pm

In my 14 team keeper league for the past two years everyone made the playoffs (that is changing this year) but I would add the amount of playoff wins into the regular season records (not the losses in the playoffs, just the wins). This kept the guys who basically did nothing all year and then turned it on in the playoffs down in the draft order. Our playoffs were four weeks long so in some cases it made a difference.
gocardinals413
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner