2009 Lineup - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

2009 Lineup

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Lineup

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
The idea of Pena hitting in the 2nd freaks me out.

A .380 OBP should not be freaking you out. I don't think Maddon will do a lineup with Pena 2nd, but realistically it could work. The worse thing about a Upton, Pena, Longoria, Burrell, Crawford top 5 is the slow Burrell right in front of Crawford more then Pena hitting 2nd.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
The idea of Pena hitting in the 2nd freaks me out.

A .380 OBP should not be freaking you out. I don't think Maddon will do a lineup with Pena 2nd, but realistically it could work. The worse thing about a Upton, Pena, Longoria, Burrell, Crawford top 5 is the slow Burrell right in front of Crawford more then Pena hitting 2nd.

Why did I say that?
If Upton hitting 1st and Pena 2nd we are looking at Crawford way down the order. If he hits behind Burrell he'll lose plenty of SBs, which could force him lower, that results in lot less ABs, as if he'd hit 1st or 2nd.
But lets see how the lineup with Pena in the 2nd looks like:
1 - cant be Craword or Iwamura cause Pena is a leftie too, so that leaves Upton.
2 - Pena
3 - Longoria
4 - Burrell
5 - Crawford
So we just lost the speed of Crawford, put the rigthy Burrell behind the righty Longoria, and lost plenty of productivity of Pena's power.
To use Crawfords speed he should move to 6th. Not something anyone has in mind when thinkin Crawfords abilities.
And this way some of Uptons power will be wasted, which would've been ideal in the 2nd slot.
Still this could be a good lineup vs lefties.

Ideally I like Crawford in the 1st or 2nd spot. But the problem is his inability to hit lefties, his low onbase, and the others in the lineup are too good.
Putting the line-up together.
I always start with the best, and I beleive we can agree that Longoria is a lock in the 3rd spot.
Than a natural powerguy 4th. Pena or Burrell. Pretty good lefty-righty combo so they are hitting after the other, unless Pena's high onbase shoud force somthing else. If they are 4th and 5th, the fact that Burrell is righty, puts Pena into 4th.
Still nothings written in stone here.
Now 1st and 2nd. They should be high on base guys with speed and power too. Upton, Crawford, and Pena are candidates. The problem starts here. Crawfords on base is low, Pena can't run but has great power which would be wasted here. So ideally Upton goes into the 2nd slot
1 Crawford
2 Upton
3 Longoria
4 Pena
5 Burrell
looks good but vs lefties with CC 1st it's not.
The other solution could be:
1 Upton
2 Crawford
3 Longoria
4 Pena
5 Burrell

What we lose here is some of the productivity of Uptons power.
But Crawfords speed could be utilized better, he could get better pitches with someone on base, forcing the pitcher into stretch, and the others could be hitting in their best spots, while keeping the R-L-R-L-R in order.
And with the lefty Iwamura in the 9th, Upton is better suited to follow than Crawford.

If Iwamura would hit 1st, that could move Upton into 2nd, but that would move Crawford again into 6th or 7th. Not good, but could happen if Craword is slumping.

With a completely different approach, an another solution could be
1 Iwamura
2 Upton
3 Pena
4 Longoria
5 Crawford
6 Burrell
Burrells move down wouldnt hurt much, but this would put Crawford into a run producing situation he is not expected to excell. He hit 7 HRs and 26 doubles in 550 at bats the last 3 years combined in the 3rd spot.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 am

One option against lefties would be for Bartlett to hit leadoff against a lefty. His career OBP is 380 plus against lefties. Follow him up with Upton, Pena, Longoria, Burrell, Crawford, and that would be one heck of a top 6 especially if Longoria gets it going against left handers this year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:12 pm

We all know how Maddon is and he isnt afraid to try new things, so I wouldnt surprised if he experminted.

But top production it needs to go...

Iwamura
Upton
Longo
Pena
Burrell
Crawford
RF
Navy
Bartlett

Do you guys see Burrell running more if he is in front of Crawford just because a man on 1 and 3 with Crawford on 1st steal 2nd?

I am excited and like to see what they are going to do.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:01 am

jlm53089 wrote:We all know how Maddon is and he isnt afraid to try new things, so I wouldnt surprised if he experminted.

But top production it needs to go...

Iwamura
Upton
Longo
Pena
Burrell
Crawford
RF
Navy
Bartlett

Do you guys see Burrell running more if he is in front of Crawford just because a man on 1 and 3 with Crawford on 1st steal 2nd?

I am excited and like to see what they are going to do.

I don't get it. Burrell stealing home from 3rd?
But with Burrell on 2nd and CC on 1st, the throw goes to 3rd so Burrell is out. Makes no sense.
So I hope Maddon wont do this lineup, and puts CC 1st, or 2nd with Upton 1st.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 pm

No what I am saying is if Crawford is on 1st and Burrell is on 3rd than it is easier for Crawford to steal 2nd. Without Burrell having to go.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:44 am

jlm53089 wrote:No what I am saying is if Crawford is on 1st and Burrell is on 3rd than it is easier for Crawford to steal 2nd. Without Burrell having to go.

It's not easier.
Noone expects Burrell to go anywhere from 3rd, and the catcher will throw to 2nd, as he would without Burrell on base anyway.
The only way I see Burrell running more, if he'd hit behind Crawford or a Upton, and him on 1st and Crawford on 2nd the double steal would be in order, and with the throw goin to 3rd, Burrell could take 2nd without a throw.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:No what I am saying is if Crawford is on 1st and Burrell is on 3rd than it is easier for Crawford to steal 2nd. Without Burrell having to go.

It's not easier.
Noone expects Burrell to go anywhere from 3rd, and the catcher will throw to 2nd, as he would without Burrell on base anyway.
The only way I see Burrell running more, if he'd hit behind Crawford or a Upton, and him on 1st and Crawford on 2nd the double steal would be in order, and with the throw goin to 3rd, Burrell could take 2nd without a throw.

Burrell will not be doing much running at all. He is one of the slowest players in the league.
raiders_umpire

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:50 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:

It's not easier.

Burrell will not be doing much running at all. He is one of the slowest players in the league.

Not to mention that he has 5 SB in 4500 at bats, and has 0 SB the last 4 years.
Still, speed is not a factor, if he is in that situation I mentioned.
Or he could steal a base á la David Ortiz, cause noone expects him to run at all.
All in all, we talkin about 2-3 SB tops, if the starts are aligned right.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby siQ_innovation » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:52 am

I think prime production will be obtained by making the lineup as follows:

1. Iwamura
2. Upton
3. Crawford
4. Longoria
5. Pena
6. Burrell
7. Navarro
8. Joyce/Kapler/Gross
9. Bartlett

Bats 2-4 have good speed and pop which is followed by some major pop and cools off with some nice contact hitters. All I know is that this is the most excited I've been for the Rays season to start in a long time. :-)

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Tampa Bay Rays