Need some insight on Seattle prospects please. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Need some insight on Seattle prospects please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need some insight on Seattle prospects please.

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:40 pm

So, I'm assuming that you have the entire system with the exception of Triunfel and Aumont? I've really got to agree with the others in hating that trade. Floyd just isn't that good and both the prospects you traded away are significantly better than Martinez IMO. But I suppose what's done is done.

If you've got the rest of the system, then you should still have the other very best guys, like Halman, Saunders, Moore, and the young pitchers. Halman and Saunders are both high-risk high-reward guys, there's upside but also a pretty good chance of failure. There are several solid pitchers in the system but the best ones are not real close to the majors.

I'll go down your list and fill in what I know.

SP - Nathan Adcock - Several years away, upside is probably slightly below average. (ETA: 2011)
SP - Gaby Hernandez - Similar to Adcock, but maybe a bit closer to the bigs. (ETA: 2010)
SP - Donnie Hume - I've never even heard of this guy.
SP - Aaron Pribank (Pribanic) - More upside than Adcock or Hernandez, perhaps league average if everything breaks right. (ETA: 2012)
SP - Fabian Williamson - Traded to the Sox for Aardsma last week. Has a good K rate in A ball, but doesn't profile as a major league pitcher (probably doesn't have the stuff).
SP - Henry Perez - Never heard of this guy either. Rookie league numbers look good, but that doesn't mean much. No idea.
SP - Kevin Kasparek (Kenn) - Don't know much about this guy.
SP - Nick Hill (1st) - Looks like a struggling older bullpen guy. Not sure that there's much to be excited about.
SP - Jason Vargas - Maybe a #4/5 starter if things break right, maybe a bullpen lefty. Decent arm but not much to get excited about.
SP - Marwin Vega - Just added to 40 man b/c other teams were apparently interested in him as a Rule V pick. Might be something there but I'm not sure what it is.
RP - Stephen Kahn - Had some promise years ago, but not sure now. He's 25 and hasn't pitched since 2006 (but I can't figure out why). Had a good power arm but struggled with command. Added to 40 man to protect from Rule V but I'm not sure what to expect here.
RP - Jose Lugo - Groundball/strikeout lefty. Potential LOOGY as early as this year. If command and secondary stuff improves, some potential for more, but wouldn't count on it.
RP (SP) - Doug Fister - Not sure there's a ton of upside here.
RP (SP) - Luke Burnett - Similar to Pribanic, maybe a touch more upside. (ETA: 2012)
C - Rob Johnson - Maybe a role player? Third best high level catching prospect behind Clement and Moore. Long swing, little power.
1B - Johan Limonta - Decent power, strikes out a lot. Wouldn't expect much as he's 24 and was just decent in AA.
2B - Reggie Corona - Upside is probably utility guy. Doubtful to make team, so may head back to the Yanks or the M's may try to keep him.
2B - Javier Brito - I don't think there's anyone with that name in the M's system. :-?
SS - Gabriel Noriega - Tough to say. Maybe a league average SS? A long way away.
OF - Efrain Nunez - Similar to Noriega but an OF as opposed to SS.
OF - Julio Morban - A bit more upside than Noriega and Nunez but perhaps even farther away.
OF - Carlos Peguero - Good power, K's a ton, no discipline at all. Hasn't made much progress in last 3 years. Not a ton of upside at this point.
OF - Denny Almonte - Profiles mostly as a role player. A long way away.
OF - Kuo Hio Lo - Speed guy, don't see a ton of upside here.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kiloman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:00 am

Jharmidy De Jesus and Mario Martinez are good young 3B with considerable upside.
kiloman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 pm

kiloman wrote:Jharmidy De Jesus and Mario Martinez are good young 3B with considerable upside.

Yeah they're not bad. They're probably average to above-average if all works out right. I don't think either would be considered star material at this point and they're a long way away. But definitely two guys to keep your eyes on.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball