How many votes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How many votes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How many votes?

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:24 pm

OK, kind of a weird one here, but very important... I run four separate leagues based on NCAA conferences, but all fall under the umbrella of "NCAA Fantasy Baseball" and will be voting on the same League Constitution as one voting body. In some instances, the same manager has a team in two conferences. In my case, I have a team in all four conferences. In voting on the Constitution should I have four votes? Should the managers with two teams have two votes? Or should everyone have one vote, regardless of how many teams they have? In other words, should it be one-vote-per-team or one-vote-per-manager?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How many votes?

Postby baizboll » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:18 pm

One vote per man. You are voting on one constitution, not four. Just my opinion. :-?
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 pm

I agree, one vote per man
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Ok, thanks, that's what I figured... On the other side of the coin, if a team has two co-managers, they should still get only one vote between them, right? I know it's probably common sense...just making sure.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RDD15 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 am

Either it is one vote per team, or one vote per man. If one vote per man is going to be your philosophy, then if you have a team with co-owners, they should each get a vote.

Because of this conflict, I would say one vote per team, which would mean you get 4 votes. Especially if this is a league with a fee to play.

Some better solutions are out there though.....

If you have 4 leagues that operate under the same constitution, but you can't fill all 4 leagues with owners, then you need to go to 2 or 3 leagues. Why have dual-ownership if you can avoid it?

My favorite way to handle this, would be for you to write a constitution, and that be the end of it. If you have 20 guys haggling over rules and having votes on how things run, you will spend more time on rules than playing the actual game and you will probably see people get upset and quit even before the season starts. Put a clause in the constitution that if over 50% of the participants notify you via email that if they wish for there to be redress of a specific rule, that a discussion among the whole league may be held. This gives you a safety net, but discourages people from sniping about small tweaks to rules every 5 minutes.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't agree at all that it has to be one vote per man or one vote per team... in the case of co-owners, they effectively constitute one "man". In effect, it should be one vote per owner - where an owner can be more than one man.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:15 pm

I'm inclined to agree with you, Bloody. Cuz if co-managers each got a vote everyone would say "Screw this, I'm getting a co-manager" just so they could have 2 votes on everything. I would either do one vote per team or one vote per manager, with co-managers counting as a single manager.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner