questions about CBS rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

questions about CBS rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

questions about CBS rules

Postby invisiblemagic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Hey everyone. First time, long time...

After 5 years of Yahoo, our league decided to switch to CBS. Some of league settings aren't explained very well and I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on a few things. We're a rotisserie scoring league with weekly changes. Here goes!

1. If we've checked the boxes to "Only allow owners to place players who are in the minors into "Minors" status" AND to "Enforce Lineup Policy When Players Get Called Up From The Minors"....what do they mean? How do they enforce it? And how long will you be given to make a roster move before something gets "enforced"?

2. Can you trade FAAB money? If there's not an automated system to allow for it, is there a manual way for the commissioner to adjust team's FAAB balance?

3. Is there a way to use SP, RP and P? Or do you have to choose between "SP and RP" and P?

4. If the FAAB is set to run on Saturday, when's the latest that a team can submit a bid?

5. Do you use the FAAB process or an alternate method if you'd wish to pick up a "Placeholder" for a player not yet in the CBS universe?

6. How does the "Illegal rosters score zero points in standings" option effect rotisserie style leagues? Is it applicable?

Thanks in advance if you have the solution to any of these.

Chris
invisiblemagic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: questions about CBS rules

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:50 pm

I don't do minors or FAAB, but for #3, you have to use just SP and RP, but you can set it so that there are some spots overlapping so that there are technically P slots. For example, my league uses 7 pitchers. I want a minimum of 2 SP and 2 RP, and the other 3 slots to be either. I set the Max on SP and RP to 5. That way, if you activate 5 SPs, the other 2 have to be RPs, and vice versa. (This is coming out way more complicated than it really is.)

For #6, the illegal roster scores zero points (accumulates 0 stats) for the period it was illegal.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby invisiblemagic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks Grouperman. I like your pitching fix, and you explained it perfectly.
invisiblemagic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 pm

We used CBS last year, it is great. Look under your questions for answers.

1. If we've checked the boxes to "Only allow owners to place players who are in the minors into "Minors" status" AND to "Enforce Lineup Policy When Players Get Called Up From The Minors"....what do they mean? How do they enforce it? And how long will you be given to make a roster move before something gets "enforced"?

We did not use the "enforce". What they will do is make your lineup illegal and you will not get points for the day. They mean that when a player is called up from the Minors or DL you have to bring him up that day. We use a two Monday time limit. If an Owner does not bring him from Minors or DL, anyone else can grab the player. It is better than the "enforce" rule.

2. Can you trade FAAB money? If there's not an automated system to allow for it, is there a manual way for the commissioner to adjust team's FAAB balance?

When you set up your league it will ask you how much FAAB money each owner gets. It will keep track of it. You do have the option to adjust the totals.

3. Is there a way to use SP, RP and P? Or do you have to choose between "SP and RP" and P?

When you set up your league, it will ask you how many players at each position. If you want 9 pitchers of any type, put "9 P" you can also put any combo of SP and RP

4. If the FAAB is set to run on Saturday, when's the latest that a team can submit a bid?

It runs at about 1:07 AM ET. You can bid until the very end.

5. Do you use the FAAB process or an alternate method if you'd wish to pick up a "Placeholder" for a player not yet in the CBS universe?

We just pickup DL and Minor players among who is available, do not use the FAAB. Players are hardly ever not in the CBS Universe. They do a great job.

6. How does the "Illegal rosters score zero points in standings" option effect rotisserie style leagues? Is it applicable?

Yes, it is applicable. You get no stats for that day so you drop in the standings. We did not use that. There was no problem with illegal lineups. Using the zero points just causes problems.

There are alot of places to look for answers on there. Good luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby invisiblemagic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks bigmck. That helped a lot.

In regards to your answer to question 1, what do you mean by using a "two Monday time limit." Is this a feature that CBS offers as an automatic feature? Or, as commissioner, am I going to have to monitor everyone else's minor league teams to ensure that all of the players are eligible? I know everything will be a lot clearer once the season starts. I'm just making sure that week one isn't going to be a disaster!

Thanks again.
invisiblemagic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:45 pm

I really don't like the thing that says if you have an illegal roster you don't get points for the day.

Because some of the smallest things cause illegal rosters - most notably someone getting called up off the DL. If a person doesn't realize it, they get no points for the entire day and can basically lose the season because of it.

We just have a self-policing policy, where the commish makes sure that people's active roster doesn't benefit from having an illegal roster (like having 9 active outfielders). And they get a soft deadline of 24 hours and prodding from the other owners to make sure that they make the necessary moves.

People can get really screwed with the no points thing.

I don't use FAAB, so I don't know how it works.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:10 pm

invisiblemagic wrote:Thanks bigmck. That helped a lot.

In regards to your answer to question 1, what do you mean by using a "two Monday time limit." Is this a feature that CBS offers as an automatic feature? Or, as commissioner, am I going to have to monitor everyone else's minor league teams to ensure that all of the players are eligible? I know everything will be a lot clearer once the season starts. I'm just making sure that week one isn't going to be a disaster!

Thanks again.

The "two Monday Deadline" is something our league uses and the Commish has to monitor it. It hardly ever comes into play as the Owners usually always activate their DL guy because he is better than the replacement. Occassionally an owner will "fall asleep" and after two Mondays of the player being active he is then fair game for all to grab.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Return to Commissioner's Corner