Should keeper rights be traded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Should keeper rights be traded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should keeper rights be traded?

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:01 am

This is an issue that is currently being hotly debated in my league. This is the 3rd year, and for the first two years we allowed teams to trade keeper rights, but we're considering doing away with it. The first year, no one did it. Last year, there were three trades involving keeper rights. Conceivably, more trades involving keeper rights will occur from year to year as people get a handle on it. To clarify what I mean by "trading keeper rights", basically each team starts out with 4 keeper rights, the right to keep 4 players the following season. By trading keeper rights, one team can give up one of their keeper rights, with or without players, in exchange for a player or players. A situation where this would make sense would be if someone was making a push for the playoffs and he lacked a solid shortstop and a guy who was out of the playoff race had Jose Reyes...Manager A could trade a keeper right to Manager B in exchange for Jose Reyes. We have a rule that players taken in the first 4 rounds are not keeper-eligible, so Jose Reyes would be worth far less to a team that's not going to make the playoffs anyway than a keeper right would be. There are two major complaints about this:

1. It throws off the competitive balance too much, with already good teams getting better and bad teams getting worse, for the current season anyway.
2. If a manager has no intention of returning the following season, he has no incentive NOT to trade away his keeper rights and make a push for the playoffs. He'll be screwing over whoever takes over the team that following season but it's not gonna be him so what does he care.

Both scenarios played out last year and really kind of soured the spirit of the league at the end. My team was already stacked and I made it pretty much unstoppable by trading a keeper right for Grady Sizemore on my march to the championship, and another manager tried trading 2 of his keeper rights away for a bunch of studs that were not keeper eligible. Luckily I was aware of his intentions not to return the next year and the trade was vetoed, but it was a huge headache. Furthermore, there's no way to have ESPN automatically handle trading keeper rights and different teams having a different number of keepers, I have to do it all manually, and as more trades like this happen I could see things getting really messy.

Do you see any way around this or should we abandon the rule altogether? One proposed compromise is to set the deadline for trading keeper rights to an earlier date than the regular trade deadline (Aug. 15), like July 15th. That way, it wouldn't shake things up so close to the playoffs and would allow for more time to make regular trades, and hopefully that early in the season no one will already have plans to bail on their team after the season. Other than that, I'm at a loss for solutions. I really liked the rule originally...I thought it gave the league an extra strategic dimension that other leagues don't have...but it hasn't worked out quite the way I wanted. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should keeper rights be traded?

Postby baizboll » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:36 pm

I've never been in a league with the condition you describe. If you want to retain less keepers than is allowed, then you have extra money to spend in the auction or an extra slot in the draft. If it's a draft, the sticky thing is trying to figure out a system of where the slot should be.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeah, it's not a salary cap league, but you do highlight the aspect of the rule that is quite frustrating for me as the Commish. There's no clean way to handle it in the draft... right now I'm looking at having to transfer Team B's 4th keeper to Team A, claiming it as one of Team A's 3 keepers, and then immediately transferring the player from Team A to Team B after the draft. And then at the end of the draft, I'm going to have to pause the draft or something and manually draft Team A's last player in Team B's slot... and then swap that player with the keeper. Yeah, don't worry, it barely makes sense to me...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 pm

I think what you are saying is that Team A could trade away their keeper rights for the following season for next year in exchange Jose Reyes from Team B.

This would mean that going into 2009, Team A could have 5 keepers and Team B could have only 3 keepers.

I don't like it at all. It makes it so teams punt this year in order to amass keepers for next year. It encourages wild swings in value and gives every incentive for teams to trade everything away one year in order to load up for the next.

I would absolutely recommend getting rid of it (if I'm understanding correctly)
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:39 pm

Yup, you're understanding correctly. Thanks for your response.

The original intent was to give teams out of playoff contention a good reason to stay active and be interested in trading. Have you found anything else to be a good incentive for that? I already have it so that the winner of the consolation bracket gets first pick of their draft position the following year, followed by 2nd consolation finisher, 3rd, etc., but this doesn't seem to be a huge motivator.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Though I suppose there is still the option of trading non-keeper-eligible players for keeper-eligible guys that is available to teams out of playoff contention to build for next season.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:49 pm

You are only asking for trouble by trading Keeper Rights. One owner could trade all of his away and quit and the next owner would be screwed
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Ok, thanks everybody... As much as I wanted it to work I think I am going to get rid of the rule and not allow keeper rights to be traded. There's just too many potential problems involved. Maybe some day I'll make it a salary league and then a similar effect can be achieved but until then I think it's better off abandoned. But if anyone has some magical solution I haven't thought of, I'm still open to suggestions... ;-D
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner