What's a good acquisitions limit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What's a good acquisitions limit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What's a good acquisitions limit?

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 pm

3 bench slots don't leave a lot of room to make adjustments, so maybe 60 would be OK. I'd rather add a few bench slots and have 40 moves, though.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:34 pm

I've been going back and forth between 3 and 4 bench spots... I guess I just have a little pet peeve with good players sitting on the bench. I like the bench to be mostly for extra SP's and platoon players.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RowdyRed » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:25 am

We've got 50 and a 25 man roster...that means that on any given night, we have 8 bench spots. To me, that helps people stay under the move limit. We also have 2 DL spots. It is a a keeper league and H2H, and only once has someone reached 50 moves. I regularly get to 35-40 every year, but that is mostly due to trying to pick up a guy to replace a slumping player. I like a large bench, because it means that there are fewer guys out there worth adding and dropping. That discourages the practice of churning as well. We (so far) allow people to use their moves in the playoffs all the way up to 50, but I haven't had anyone yet try to stream their way to a championship. Then again, ours is 5x5, and does not include IP.

I say go bigger bench, fewer moves rather than smaller bench, more moves. But that's just my personal opinion.
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks a lot...makes sense. How many teams in your league?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fast dogs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:47 am

60 is not at all out of line with those settings. guys will save enough to stream with 50 or 60 if you allow it.
2 weekly playoff pickups, no playoff pickups, no pitching pickups all would be options, tho the streamers might revolt! I always thought it was funny the league played 1 way the entire season then in the playoffs it turned into a transactions-fest
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby RDD15 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:01 am

I say that you should open the bench up to maybe 6 spots and reduce the transaction limit.

Last year, in my H2H keeper, we upped our limit to 40, and for me (league champ), that was plenty. I even was able to do a little bit of streaming here and there to win an important game, and I had several transactions left over.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby RowdyRed » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:03 pm

We have twelve teams (you asked earlier, just in ask you're wondering why I'm randomly volunteering this information....)
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:31 pm

RowdyRed wrote:I say go bigger bench, fewer moves rather than smaller bench, more moves. But that's just my personal opinion.

;-D or else the FA pool is just a common bench.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Does it necessarily have to be a bigger bench? What if it was just a bigger roster? Like say I had a 12-teamer with 30-man rosters, 25 starting and 5 bench? Would that work? What would be a good limit for such a configuration?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Trojan Pony wrote: I like the bench to be mostly for extra SP's and platoon players.

You're overthinking. The bench is for owners to make the adjustments they think they need to make to win, and it is up to each owner to carry the bench he thinks he will need, based on his roster.

I like a deep(ish) bench -- something like 3:1 active:reserve. This allows for adjustments to nagging injuries, rainouts, and pitching matchups without having to deal too much with FA. It also allows someone to add a weekend start or two if needed without 'streaming,' or to platoon.

Making more active slots along with the bigger bench does not change much. More active slots = more need for adjustments.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner