Discussion: Type of League

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:57 pm

DECIDED:
-H2H
-Keeper format with 10 keepers
-Keepers can be kept up to four years
-Minor league system instituted next year
-Regular snake draft

What type of league are you guys interested in? Dynasty? Re-draft? Keeper league? (How many keepers?) One with a minor league system? (How many minor leaguers?) Do we include some sort of salary system? After some discussion about the pro's and con's of each, we can come to some sort of resolution and perhaps a vote. Personally, I would like to hear from everybody since we all have a wealth of knowledge of fantasy baseball and have an extensive background/history of playing it. We have seen what works and what doesnt.

In my humble opinion, I would go with a keeper league of about 8 keepers. This way, just in case we do have drop-outs from year to year, we can easily recruit other cafe vets. Taking over a completed team isnt the ideal situation. With this format, you could also have the unoriginal twist of losing a draft pick for whatever round your keeper was selected in. Or maybe we could devise a system where you "sign" players to contracts based on their "real-world" contracts and you have a limited amount to spend. Say we give out 30 mil per team and you can sign as many players as possible under that 30 mil budget. This would certainly give some intrigue to the hot stove season. Or maybe you combine both. I'm just tossing around ideas as they come to me. Feel free to shoot them down so that we can brainstorm other ones. I'm trying to think of ways where this league provides variety to your fantasy baseball experience.

So what is your ideal league format? Let the collaboration begin! ;-D

FYI - I would like to keep the H2H format in place.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Discussion: Type of League

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Everyone who was active in that last thread seemed to want a keeper, and I don't mind that idea. ;-D
I would go for keeper or re-draft.

I think it should be 5-10 keepers (your idea of 8 would probably be perfect), and maybe a 5 or 6 or 7 player minors system.

I would like the "unoriginal twist" of the losing the draft pick you selected them. Spices it up a little.

Contracts can get contentious as some teams make trades just to shed payroll and it causes arguments/fights. So I do not want :-t .

Maybe an idea of making the teams use their minor leaguers as soon as they get a major league at-bat instead of hoarding them would be a good idea. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 am

I definitely like the idea of a keeper and the draft pick loss system is fine with me, I have a similar system in my football league. The only thing I would suggest is that maybe add a rule that says you can't keep players picked in the first x number of rounds (maybe 2-3). I find that rewards people more who find gems late in drafts and adds a bit more strategy.

Not so in favor of the payroll system though. Minor leagues I don't really care, as long as the rosters aren't too large (like >6-8)
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:18 am

AussieDodger wrote:Everyone who was active in that last thread seemed to want a keeper, and I don't mind that idea. ;-D
I would go for keeper or re-draft.

I think it should be 5-10 keepers (your idea of 8 would probably be perfect), and maybe a 5 or 6 or 7 player minors system.

I would like the "unoriginal twist" of the losing the draft pick you selected them. Spices it up a little.

Contracts can get contentious as some teams make trades just to shed payroll and it causes arguments/fights. So I do not want :-t .

Maybe an idea of making the teams use their minor leaguers as soon as they get a major league at-bat instead of hoarding them would be a good idea. ;-D

The only thing I don't like about this is the fact that some guys just get a cup of coffee and then are back to the minors. if we had some flexibility(rookie eligibility) then if your guy doesn't stay you don't need to bring him up. I still say that to keep from the hoarding is that if you activate the player, he can't go back to the minors, or if he hits the limit, then you have 24 hours to move him up or you lose his rights. I think those are fair when it comes to minors.

Anything else I'm fine with as long as its H2H
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:24 am

WickedSmaat wrote:The only thing I don't like about this is the fact that some guys just get a cup of coffee and then are back to the minors. if we had some flexibility(rookie eligibility) then if your guy doesn't stay you don't need to bring him up. I still say that to keep from the hoarding is that if you activate the player, he can't go back to the minors, or if he hits the limit, then you have 24 hours to move him up or you lose his rights. I think those are fair when it comes to minors.

Anything else I'm fine with as long as its H2H

A cup of coffee is usually 100ish at-bats?
Maybe make 100-120 the forced activation level. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:12 am

1. i do not want a salary league.
2. id like as many keepers as possible. 5 is pointless. everyone should have 5 top notch players they would want to keep from year to year, thus making there no difference between the teams. 8 is ok with me i guess, but id prefer 10.
3. i really dont think a minor league system is worth the trouble of tracking and claiming and all that jazz if we're only keeping 8 players. more often than not you wont want to keep the minor leaguer over one of your top 8 players on your roster.
4. if we do opt for some sort of minor league system, i think a great and simple way to lose their minor league eligibility is simply when they lose their rookie rights in mlb. 130 abs or 50 ip. very simple.
5. i would like a dynasty first and foremost. i wouldnt worry about "dropouts" because isnt that why we hand picked our owners here? if we're worried about people dropping out, then we should get a group of people who we know wont diss the league.
6. h2h is almost a must for me.

i think thats it.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedBullVodka » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:45 am

H2H ;-D
Keepers - I agree it needs to be more than 5...8 sounds fair enough to me.
Pick lost from round player picked in sounds easiest...but should there be a limit on number of years a player can remain on your team? And should he always remain in the round you picked (or move up / down a round for each year you keep him?
Minor leaguers - not that bothered either way. If we have them I agree with the min ab's / IP criteria.
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 45)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 pm

oh i forgot to mention that i dislike the whole lose a round thing. why does that need to be included? cant we just draft with the mindset that im going to want to keep this guy for the future, etc...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kaveman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 am

1) Keeper or redraft is good for me. If it's a keeper I think 8 is good number.
2) Personally I like to keep it simple and just say keep any 8 without losing a certain round.
3) Not really big on the minor league idea, but if everybody else wants to do it, it's fine with me.
4) The next year's draft should go in reverse order of the final standings, but should still be snake.
kaveman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smoovethug » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:23 am

- I'd prefer a keeper of 8 or more, but a redraft is fine if that's decided upon.
- I'd like a limit on how long you can keep a certain player, although that's a bridge we'll cross later in the league's tenure.
- I'm indifferent on the minor league system.
- I dislike the loss of round.
- I dislike the salary cap idea.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Cold Stove League