2 Up, 2 Down - Second Base Edition - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

2 Up, 2 Down - Second Base Edition

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Re: 2 Up, 2 Down - Second Base Edition

Postby Chicago 2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:00 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Chicago 2 wrote:The fact that he hasn't reached those numbers in AAA doesn't really bother me, I'm not one to judge a player off of his minor league stats, I've never felt they are a true indication of a players MLB potential. If you perform in the minors congrats, if you can't hit in the MLB then who cares about your ML stats.

Fantasy baseball is all about predictions. And it's a never a good idea to base your projections off one year, especially one's rookie year when other teams don't have a great scouting report. That's why Curtis is bringing up Aviles' minor league numbers, because really, that's all we have to go on. Remember what happened to the last Royals' shortstop that made a splash his rookie year?

Assuming you mean Berroa. And yes he was awful after his career year.

Right, I know why hes bringing it up but minor league numbers are not a true indicator of any players MLB potential. Aviles has shown he can hit in the minors and sure his power numbers are not great but hes shown "so far" he can hit in the MLB, in his short stint he put up some nice numbers. I've seen him play and he can hit, makes contact what 86% of the time. Obviously its a risk drafting him since he might have a sophomore slump, same is said for Alexei Ramirez.

2B for the most part is a fairly solid position but looking at shortstop there's a lot of question marks there, I'll take my chances and grab Aviles late. If all goes wrong I'm not gonna argue with grabbing Renteria as a backup several rounds later.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Chicago 2 wrote:Right, I know why hes bringing it up but minor league numbers are not a true indicator of any players MLB potential. Aviles has shown he can hit in the minors and sure his power numbers are not great but hes shown "so far" he can hit in the MLB, in his short stint he put up some nice numbers. I've seen him play and he can hit, makes contact what 86% of the time. Obviously its a risk drafting him since he might have a sophomore slump, same is said for Alexei Ramirez.

2B for the most part is a fairly solid position but looking at shortstop there's a lot of question marks there, I'll take my chances and grab Aviles late. If all goes wrong I'm not gonna argue with grabbing Renteria as a backup several rounds later.

minor league numbers are a pretty good indicator of a players potential, especially when you don't have much else to work with. to completely disregard them for 400 MLB ABs is pretty silly. he didn't hit for much power or average in the minors and cannot sustain a .360 BABIP. once that regresses his batting average will plummet. while he does make pretty good contact, he doesn't walk much and as a 28 year old going into his sophomore year he doesn't have all that much upside imo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:11 am

I have no idea how Alexei is an up. He's already getting drafted in the 50's. Are you expecting him to put up top 25 numbers?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:15 am

You mentioned that the signing of Teixeira means Cano won't escape the bottom of the order.

I just wanted to mention that I've still been reading that the Yankees want to bat him higher, possibly 5th right behind A-Rod/Teixeira. Spring Training will probably determine that, but the Yankees think he can be the type of hitter to hit behind A-Rod and be a .300-20-100 guy. So keep an eye on that.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:30 am

kab21 wrote:I have no idea how Alexei is an up. He's already getting drafted in the 50's. Are you expecting him to put up top 25 numbers?

Not necessarily. Maybe top 50 though. :-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Previous

Return to Article Discussions