Pay projection services - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pay projection services

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pay projection services

Postby Wyatt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Has anybody ever purchased projections / services from baseball notebook or rotoworld? Just curious. I know alot of people buy baseball prospectus & Bill James but was wondering if there were any others out there.
I've been looking over quite a few free sites & also got the spreadsheet from J35J but thought about purchasing something this year as well. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pay projection services

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Projections are all worthless. Even the guys at Pecota agree that they only have like a 60% accuracy. They also agree that the difference between Pecota and the free offerings like Marcel, Chone, and Zips are negligible.

It's just not worth it.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:28 pm

I don't spend much time looking at projections so I wouldn't bother. I do look at the projections at fangraphs that are listed for free to see if I'm missing something about a player. But usually it's just the rate stats (BA/OBP/SLG/OPS, K/9, BB/9, etc...). The playing time projections are usually questionable which throws the counting stats out of whack.

You can sign up to baseballprospectus on a $5 monthly membership and cancel in April. I did this because I like reading the scouting reports (top 11's) that they so infrequently publish.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby baizboll » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:48 pm

If somebody wants you to pay for projections, then they should offer some past history to support the value of your purchase.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wyatt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks guys I'll just continue to look at the free sites than. I just like to view various projections / rankings & come up with a draft cheat sheet for each of my leagues. I was just curious about some of the pay sites but apparently my money would be better applied to another pay league.
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Charette » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Another free one is at Sports Fanatics. They don't have the pitcher projections out yet , but they do have the batters.
I don't use projections unless I'm torn between 2 players , then I use a few differant sets to compare how others view the players. Then I still take the player I really wanted in the first place, even if all the projections say I'm wrong. }:-) :-b

Dan the Bluesman B-)

Oh by the way , I just purchased a Fantistics subscription. I bought it last year and I liked it. I didn't use the projections too much. I really liked the team analyser where you can enter your leagues scoring categories and get an idea where you stand in each category compared to all the other teams. The analyser is based on 2 differant sets of projections, so you can get a little different result with each. They also send you daily player news every day throughout the season. Much of the news you can get at rotoworld, but they provide quite a bit of additional news. You can also do mock drafts.
They're supposed to be opening tomorrow . Can't wait.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:34 pm

You don't pay just for projections, you pay for the articles, inside info etc.

Fantistics is a great source for pure fantasy baseball info, I pay for Baseball Prospectus because I love the baseball articles, PECOTA is just a bonus.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Wyatt » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 am

Ender wrote:You don't pay just for projections, you pay for the articles, inside info etc.

Fantistics is a great source for pure fantasy baseball info, I pay for Baseball Prospectus because I love the baseball articles, PECOTA is just a bonus.

Thanks all That was what I was trying to get at. Besides just the projections a pay site provides I was trying to find out which one was the best with everything else they also provide.

It seems I need to check into Fantistics than. Appreciate the opinions here at the Cafe.
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RunReyesRun » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:22 am

I pay for Baseball HQ's forecaster, but I don't even look at the projections. I like to make my own based on their comments, and each player's skill sets
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kcbrett5 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Projections are very lame. ANYONE can put out projections, even you. Look at a 3 yr avg, or baseballHQ has all kinds of cats to look at.
Contact rate, hit rate, BB rate flyball rate etc. Don't pay for projections.
kcbrett5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Location: Stepping up to the plate, 2 out bases loaded, down by 3, right where i want to be.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers