Baseball Cards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Baseball Cards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Cards

Postby bigwords » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:05 pm

MLB continues on the litigious warpath. Now they are targeting baseball card makers. I figure there's probably a lot of baseball card fans here. I used to collect them many years ago.

Anyway, MLB has just filed a lawsuit against Dunlop on trademark grounds. Interestingly, according to MLB in the lawsuit, the baseball card market brings in $100 million a year to MLB. That despite the card market shrinking from $10 billion a year at its height to $1 billion today. (Again, according to MLB.)

MLB says they only have licenses with 2 card companies now, despite the proliferation of cardmakers. Dunlop isn't one of them since they allege the contract expired in 2005. The major thrust of the lawsuit is that Dunlop violates MLB's trademarks, with cards featuring MLB trade dress, "despite Donruss' calculated attempts on some cards to have such marks modified or partially obscured."
Fantasy Ball Junkie
We've Got Your Fix
www.fantasyballjunkie.com
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Baseball Cards

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:05 pm

I stopped losing intrest when they messed with "rookie cards" and that it would no longer be a rookie card until the the player makes the 40 man roster or something along those lines :-° I was a big collecter of cards when I was young and loved Bowman up until about 06.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Yeah, I also collected alot as a Kid and Young adult and a little off and on the Last 15 Years but I'm getting point of just giving it up for it's not worth it anymore. For the card companies are slowly Killing it

25 Years ago you could buy a 15 Card Pack for 30 cents and the Cards would Double in value in a Years and triple in 2 Years.

But now that Packs are Half that and they cost 10 Times that and there is no chance of them to go up in value just because the Value is based on Demand and since the 2 Companies are putting out 100 deferent sets it's not possible to be any real Demand in any given set.

Anyway MLB is just wasting there time with this. The economy is extremely Bad right now. Millions of People are losing there jobs. Millions more are worry of losing theres and Stores are closing and Companies are going under and everyone is bearing down saving there money and overprice Sports Cards are the first thing to go and I'll tell you now if every single Sports Card Company don't find themself in chapter 11 in the next year I'll be Shocked.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:35 pm

I quit collecting mainly because of the strike in '94. But I was beginning to get turned off with all these damn sub-sets being inserted, couldn't keep track of them all. The companies and MLB only care about the $$$$ and not the hobby anymore.

On a side note, I would be SUPER PISSED if I pulled a baseball card of this guy:

http://www.upperdeck.com/marketing/news ... x?aid=5141

Not that I don't like the guy, but I buy baseball cards for baseball players (or other sports for that matter), not to get cards of politicians or celebrities. :-t :-t :-t :-t
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby DbacksRback » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:04 pm

chargerss24 wrote:I quit collecting mainly because of the strike in '94. But I was beginning to get turned off with all these damn sub-sets being inserted, couldn't keep track of them all. The companies and MLB only care about the $$$$ and not the hobby anymore.

On a side note, I would be SUPER PISSED if I pulled a baseball card of this guy:

Not that I don't like the guy, but I buy baseball cards for baseball players (or other sports for that matter), not to get cards of politicians or celebrities. :-t :-t :-t :-t

I agree I remember a few years back there was an insert of famous actors and presidents autograghs just doesnt fit to me :-t

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Yeah, the famous people inserts really helped to push me over the edge of not collecting again - when I started bulling Corbin Bernsen and Tony Hawk from baseball packs, I knew the end was VERY, VERY near !+) :,-(
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 am

chargerss24 wrote:I quit collecting mainly because of the strike in '94. But I was beginning to get turned off with all these damn sub-sets being inserted, couldn't keep track of them all. The companies and MLB only care about the $$$$ and not the hobby anymore.

Nice, the Obama Rookie card. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 am

2008 Upper Deck "A Piece of History"

Pulled a Mike Myers movie worn blue pants card from when he filmed "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery".

:-S

In a box of baseball cards. :-/ Not that I don't like Mike Myers or Austin Powers (both are cool in my book), but I didn't buy the box in hopes of getting some sort of Hollywood memoribilia.

Seeing presidential autographs and stuff out there too. Not really a fan of non-baseball related inserts in baseball card boxes. Must be popular though, as it seems more and more odd things are being put in there. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia