SP's in Points Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

SP's in Points Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SP's in Points Leagues

Postby joeg24 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:34 pm

How do people handle SP's in a weekly head to head points league? IE what stops the pitch and ditch? An IP limit? A start limit?

And what sites do people use that let them do this? I can't figure out on how to make this fair on CBS.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SP's in Points Leagues

Postby RDD15 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:08 pm

My ESPN league uses an innings cap, which was easy to set up. However, you need to set that cap a bit lower because if the cap is not hit by the end of Saturday's games, all Sunday action counts. It is common in our league to pitch or ditch for Sunday starters, but we have a free agent limit for the season to limit that.

My CBS league uses weekly lineups so the Pitch or ditch is taken away almost completely.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby noseeum » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:07 am

-Do weekly lineups
-Cut the value of wins in half and replace that half with quality starts, i.e. if wins are worth 10, make them 5 and add 5 for QS. Most people are chasing wins in points leagues when they pitch and ditch. This makes that less worthwhile, and hey, if they pickup a guy that actually has a decent outing, then why not get the points?
-Make sure you have enough negative points to increase the risk of a bad start
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tavo2311 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 pm

If you don't want to go to weekly lineups which is my preference and the best way to avoid that strategy IMO, you can limit transactions. Either a yearly cap or something more creative. In one league we have no transactions allowed after Thursday night until Sunday night. So for the weekend when the pitch and ditch is most useful, it is unavailable.

Be careful though, one drawback with this is a two week long World Series. If your league does this it is important to think ahead. By the second week, if one person needs to employ the strategy, they can. We didn't have the foresight to think this through ahead of our first year. So now, we change just for the final two weeks, to allow transactions the entire first week, and none the second week, instead of the weekend thing. Last thing you want after a whole season is some guy beating you in the world series because he started every single MLB pitcher you never heard of as late as the 11th day of your 14 day matchup by taking wins and k's.

I also like the chopping wins to wins/quality starts idea mentioned. It takes away the chance for the cheap win. However, it doesn't prevent the issue for K's. Also, if you luck into a QS it does nothing. As mentioned, maybe that pitcher should be rewarded if he gets his QS, but if your goal is simply to not even let the pitch and ditch occur, then you don't want to let the reward even have a chance to happen, and there are better ways to ensure this.
tavo2311
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner