Is Laporta gonna start out the season in AAA?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Is Laporta gonna start out the season in AAA??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Laporta gonna start out the season in AAA??

Postby Donkingsfro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:18 pm

I am in the midst of a 15 keeper fantasy draft right now and we are around pick 200 overall and I was wondering if I should draft LaPorta in the next round if given the opporunity? My 1B is James Loney right now so I could use some help. When do you guys expect him to be brought up to the majors? and if soon, do you think thats decent value for him (around 200 overall or so)? Thanks a lot and I really appreciate all help thrown at me
Donkingsfro
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Laporta gonna start out the season in AAA??

Postby stevethumb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm

i can't see him being of any value this year...he has had no experience above AA and he is not even on their 40 man roster..he needs a lot of seasonong at AAA especially if they are gonna try him at a different pos...pass
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:48 pm

i fully expect laporta to start the season at AAA...but i only expect him there until may or the all-star break at the latest. the indians expect to be competitive this year which means they will need his bat in the middle of the order. if they do move him back to 1b he will not need time to learn the position considering he was drafted as a 1b and moved to the OF in milwaukee because of fielder in the majors...if anything the move back to first might make him more comfortable.

i certainly wouldn't rule out laporta joining the club after ST to give their fans a face to root for besides sizemore. if he has a strong ST they will find a spot for him but i fully expect him to struggle in ST considering he was a huge dissappoints for AA akron after the trade last year. still think he's a year away but anything can happen.

if i were you though i would draft him at that spot. 15 keepers is fairly deep so i'm surprised he wasn't drafted already. loney is only average to poor at first for now until he reaches his power that he is supposed to develop...but the move to first for laporta isn't a guarantee...either way top prospects are greatly valued in keeper/dynasty leagues. if he's there draft him because if you don't someone else will swoop in and grab him.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ReeferDave » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:27 am

I am guessing that, if he makes it to the bigs, he'll be playing in the OF, since Cleveland already has Garko and Vic Martinez for 1B. Check your league's eligibility rules to see how many games he needs to qualify at first.
ReeferDave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball