The Travel Advice And Recommendations Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Travel Advice And Recommendations Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Travel Advice And Recommendations Thread

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:01 pm

Denver has cheap and GOOD beer.

I can get two 22oz MicroDrafts (2 for 1 happy house) for 5 dollars. So that's 44oz of beer for 6 dollars. And good beer at that!

Normal beer prices are 1.00 - 1.50 for PBR or 2.50 - 3.00 for a Crap Beer like bud or coors 3.00-5.00 will get you a local micro. 4.50-5.50 will get you a guiness or foreign crappy import that isn't as good as our local stuff
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:10 pm

acsguitar wrote:Denver has cheap and GOOD beer.

I can get two 22oz MicroDrafts (2 for 1 happy house) for 5 dollars. So that's 44oz of beer for 6 dollars. And good beer at that!

Normal beer prices are 1.00 - 1.50 for PBR or 2.50 - 3.00 for a Crap Beer like bud or coors 3.00-5.00 will get you a local micro. 4.50-5.50 will get you a guiness or foreign crappy import that isn't as good as our local stuff

That's about exactly how it is here.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:17 pm

In L.A., you're likely to pay a $5-6 pint on say, Stella, PBR, or Guinness. I found a place that sold Deschutes Black Butte Porter for less than that, what a gem.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Metroid wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Denver has cheap and GOOD beer.

That's about exactly how it is here.

Where do you live?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:In L.A., you're likely to pay a $5-6 pint on say, Stella, PBR, or Guinness. I found a place that sold Deschutes Black Butte Porter for less than that, what a gem.

Time to spill the beans, buddy. Where is this wonderland? :-D
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:53 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:In New York, everybody does that.

That's also been the standard everywhere I've lived. If the place I'm at is really busy, I'll generally tip more than a buck a drink for the first round or two. You're not tipping for the act of fixing your drink, your tipping for future service.

Exactly. I was a bartender for three years, some of which during college (college students almost never tip), but afterward, there's a general understanding that the more you give me, the faster I will get you your drinks. If somebody drops a nice tip on me early, of course I'm going to go straight to them even if I see somebody else clearly waiting for a drink. Beyond that, if your bartender is cracking the top off three bottles of beer for you and your pals, I don't typically give (nor did I expect) $3 for the trouble, but if they're mixing drinks for you, then $1 is pretty standard everywhere I've been.

Dan, generally a bottle of domestic will run you $5 where I live, unless it's Happy Hour or there's some daily special going on, and if you head to the city, you're talking more around $8, $9, even $10 I've seen for a domestic bottle depending on where you go, so be happy with your $4.50 raping :-b

:-b around here those are like trendy/clubby prices...(hell the T-bar is only like $7 a bottle i think)...i'd say your standard drinking bar is probably $3 a bottle or less and you can usually find something on special
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:55 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:In L.A., you're likely to pay a $5-6 pint on say, Stella, PBR, or Guinness. I found a place that sold Deschutes Black Butte Porter for less than that, what a gem.

There's a place that's literally walking distance from my house that sells BBP for $2.50/pint. It's glorious.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:30 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:

There's a place that's literally walking distance from my house that sells BBP for $2.50/pint. It's glorious.

:-L :-L :-L

Sounds like Happy Hour prices on Coors Light. You must have done something special in your last life to deserve that beer at that price and proximity.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:43 pm

It's a private yacht club where the bar is only open to members and their guests. I'm not a member, and I'm rarely a guest, but I'm kind of big deal, and I know many of the members and board members, so they let me drink there. They sell all of their alcohol at cost, or even at a loss just as a service to the members.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:46 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:Time to spill the beans, buddy. Where is this wonderland? :-D

:-L :-L :-L

Sounds like Happy Hour prices on Coors Light. You must have done something special in your last life to deserve that beer at that price and proximity.

I can get Black Butte at the price occasionally.

LA and NY = We're so cool we have to charge more for everything! Lamerzzz. Whats NYC got? Cold winters, rainy everything else, dirty streets, crime, too many people, expensive beer. It's like hell
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk